Arktis Swat Shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I liked the Montane Extreme jacket, same as the smock but with a zip and hood. Slightly better fit than the Buffalo.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I had a buffalo pile top many years ago and found it too warm most of the year and clammy when wet and standing around. It was fantastic on a few optimum occasions that suited it. I sold it on and went over to a layering system.
I also use Paramo clothing. Recently I bought a Velez smock in green - the older model in heavier weight fabric, rather than the brighter and lighter models. This hits the sweet spot for me outside of summer and very warm weather. It’s light if I do need to carry it. No waterproof membrane to puncture on thorns and the like and at a pinch could be repaired in the field with out affecting its performance. It’s easy to wash but doesn’t mind getting a bit grubby. I can vent it with the side zips and open the chest up in warm weather. The hood is lovely to wear all day and the fabric is very quiet and not overly shiny. Not quite the same as as a pile jacket but worth considering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winnet

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I had a buffalo pile too many years ago and found it too warm most of the year and clammy when wet and standing around. It was fantastic on a few optimum occasions that suited it. I sold it on and went over to a layering system.
I also use Paramo clothing. Recently I bought a Velez smock in green - the older model in heavier weight fabric, rather than the brighter and lighter models. This hits the sweet spot for me outside of summer and very warm weather. It’s light if I do need to carry it. No waterproof membrane to puncture on thorns and the like and at a pinch could be repaired in the field with out affecting its performance. It’s easy to wash but doesn’t mind getting a bit grubby. I can vent it with the side zips and open the chest up in warm weather. The hood is lovely to wear all day and the fabric is very quiet and not overly shiny. Not quite the same as as a pile jacket but worth considering.
I have a Paramo jacket which I also use as my winter outer rain layer, I think it's the Helki jacket.
I've had it a few years now. It's also the older, heavier fabric in moss green, but comes up like new with a wash with nikwax tec wash and tec proof. The old Buffalo under that worked a treat for a winter layering system.
In the summer my outer rain layer is a Rab downpour plus pertex jacket, which I also find an excellent jacket.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: nigelp

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Blimey you must have been warm with the buffalo underneath!
I had an old paramo ‘fleece’ jacket that was a warm as toast but looked rather like a Victorian smoking jacket. My other half said I looked like a ‘velvet Duke’ wearing it. That was however a great layering system because the jacket in its own right kept a lot of water out.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Blimey you must have been warm with the buffalo underneath!
I had an old paramo ‘fleece’ jacket that was a warm as toast but looked rather like a Victorian smoking jacket. My other half said I looked like a ‘velvet Duke’ wearing it. That was however a great layering system because the jacket in its own right kept a lot of water out.
Yeah I must say the Paramo/Buffalo combo was pretty warm, and generally a merino baselayer is sufficient for most winter situations. Give me Paramo over Gore tex any day of the week though, I've never found Gore tex breathable when I've got a proper sweat on.

Haha I know the old Paramo fleeces that you mean great bits of kit though!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE