Arkansas Oilstone

Mike Bowler

Dec 31, 2008
Cheshire UK
Anyone use a Arkansas Oil stone and if you do what do you think of them .I'm thinking of getting one to sharpen my woodcarving chisels

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
There are as many grades and qualities of Arkansas stone, as car tyres. Its impossible to tell what quality they will be.

FWIW, I have quite a few-DMT whetsones in all the grades, lots of Arkansas stones, India stones, even a Charnwood that I was left. The Arkansas stones generally cut slower but don't mishape as easily.

Every time now, I go for diamond stones (usually the £7 Aldi block diamond stones which are excellent for the cash and flat) and then finish on my paddle strop.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A true Arkasas Wa****a stone is indeed a good stone. However the quarries played out a few decades ago and any "new" stones you get now will be composites. There are however, quite a few good vintage stones still to be had.

Edit to add: I don't know why but either the computor or the forum is editing my post above. That should read "Wa****a." Just in case it edits here as well, I'll try a diferent spelling: Quachita; pronounced either "wash-i-tah" or "wa-shee-ta."

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A true Arkasas Wa****a stone is indeed a good stone. However the quarries played out a few decades ago and any "new" stones you get now will be composites. There are however, quite a few good vintage stones still to be had.

Edit to add: I don't know why but either the computor or the forum is editing my post above. That should read "Wa****a." Just in case it edits here as well, I'll try a diferent spelling: Quachita; pronounced either "wash-i-tah" or "wa-shee-ta."

Wasn't it a sioux name for the area Santaman? I've seen it spelt 'Ouchita' too.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Wasn't it a sioux name for the area Santaman? I've seen it spelt 'Ouchita' too.

Well it's an Indian name anyway. Maybe Siuox, maybe Choctaw. I'm not sure. It's also the name of the mountain range where most of them were quarried.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE