Arils

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
OK first off: Yew is a dangerous tree. Yew berries (arils) are not poisonous, but the seeds inside them are very much so. Do not eat the berries if you cannot safely remove the flesh from the seeds.

I know most of you know that anyway.

My question is: arils taste so nice, is there any way of safely jamming them or possibly creating a syrup from them?
The only way I've found of separating the seeds from the berry is either very very messily with my fingers (which leaves almost no flesh to eat) or very carefully in my mouth with teeth, but I eat it whilst I remove it.
I assume (I'm not even going to try) heating them would help the poison spread from the seeds...

Any ideas, or just 'leave well alone'?

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
as a rule of thumb "leave well alone" but if you really want to then you could try useing someting super sharp like a scaple to cut the it off very carfuly being sure not to take any of the seed bit with it!

gurthang

Nov 22, 2004
Devon/Hampshire
I heard that apparently if you eat too much of that 'snot' it causes halucinations and headaches etc.. maybe I'm wrong and its the poison in the seeds that produce these symptoms.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Similar story for rosehips.... the seeds aren't poisonous as such but they have tiny little hairs that are an internal irritant....

I have to wonder if it's worth the bother with Arils....

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
This reminds me of the japanese fish that will kill you if it is prepared incorrectly. If you did make the jam it would be so scary to eat. An act of faith for anyone you offer it to.

"Hey trust me, I'm a chef ......" :naughty:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
The issue is trying to safely separate the flesh of the arils from the highly toxic seeds inside. I should stick to eating them like you do raw, when it is easier to do so and spit out the seed. In fact it is a good source of vitamin A but the truly deadly danger of even tiny quantities of the alkaloid toxin being released in food processing is simply not worth the risk.

Yew toxin was used widely in Europe as a poison for arrows.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I am not sure about the toxicity after use tomtom. I assume it was rendered harmless somehow as it was used to kil animals too:

wood, about 50,000 years old, from Clacton-on-Sea, England.*

Archeological excavations have found yew bows and knives in Swiss lake dwellings from 10,000 years ago. Historically, yew bows were the weapon of choice for both hunting and warfare throughout most of Europe until the invention of firearms.*

Yew was also employed as a poison, used for assassination, suicide, as an arrow poison, and to poison fish and mammals.*

I wonder how a yew wood knife would function? Not for poison as such but in practical use.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
well if it was used only for assaination and suicide i doubt it mattered much

this might be an extreamy dumass question but do you think they mean blades made of yew or scales/handles?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE