Arial Combat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Had a day off today and went for a wander to see if any flutterbies were about. Nothing very extroadinary but did see a nice skylark display (pic in another thread) and a kestrel hunting. Also saw some "mobbing behaviour" with a crow going for a buzzard - lousy piccs but you get the idea of how serious the crow was

2514204862_c4a3b4a83d_o.jpg

2513380385_8f0428017d_o.jpg

Red

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Nice pictures, I've seen this behavior several times and I find it a bit odd that the buzzard never seems to react much to the crows just carries on flying. Has the desired effect though as the buzzard does keep on flying away until the crows stop harrassing it.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
last year when gazing out my front window i clocked a dozen or so crows bombing a grounded buzzard. they had it pinned down, they were like kamikaze fighters. it was a bit scary.

Gailainne

Life Member
I've seen that behaviour on a fairly regular basis, not sure why tho, whether it is territorial, food related, nesting, shrug, I did see the most amazing air battle between 2 kestrels and a buzzard once, I was learning to fly a hang glider at the time, so seeing these absolute masters having at it was just brilliant, and ego deflating at the same time :eek: , the instructor told us the kestrels had a nest in the nearby tree, which was why they defended so vigorously.

Stephen

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Seems to be quite common - the most impressive I have photographed is house martins mobbing a buzzard - now that's an uneven fight! Although possibly not as uneven as the sequence I have of crows forcing a Bald Eagle out of the air - that was something to see.

Always reminds me slightly of a heavy lumbering bomber being attacked by fighters when done by smaller birds

Red

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Red,

How is it the birds near you always seem to be scrapping with each other?

You need to start handing out some Anti Social Bird OrderS :lmao:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Welsh Red Kites and Buzzards are equally cowardly - or our Rooks are "well 'ard" - living by a vilage called Boncath (Bwncath = buzzard in West Walian if not BBC Welsh) we get loads of the darlings round here and our local rookery is oposite my bedroom window I get to see lots of these combats.
The Rooks always win.........
Native Red Kites are moving into our area and get the same treatment from the Rooks!

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I often see this in the back garden, we've got a good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) population of Crows and Magpies round here and they will take on any Raptor that comes past. Buzzards, hawks, and especially the resident sparrow hawks are always on the wrong end of a dive bombing or two. We do rarely see a Red Kite fly past on a jornt from Wales but never seen it get attacked, maybe if it came a bit lower it would.

It is quite a spectacular site though specially when its the smaller Magpies attacking a grate big Buzzard.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Since its a topic of interest - here are some older mobbing sequences - this one is the bald eagle under attack

1477162331_75951a413b_o.jpg

here she is coming in to her handler - her expression says it all

1477161405_5ef87ffb1a_o.jpg

and after landing screaming - really not happy

1477381831_8c69d18f65.jpg

Sorry this is so blurred but it was a hurried shot - house martins mobbing a buzzard

1373582421_eb61bc4a93_o.jpg

I still find "mobbings" interesting to watch!

Red

Scrimmy

Forager
Mar 11, 2008
Whitley Bay
www.freewebs.com
Quality pictures, Ialso find mobbings interesting to watch, I remember watching the Sparrowhawk pair and a Carrion Crow pair battling for territory at a local nesting site, exciting stuff. Cain

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE