Argos axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I do like the look of that Argos axe. I like the shape of the head.
If I didn't have an axe already (and mine was also a cheapy - at £13), I would buy one of those!

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
are axes easy to keep sharp?? is it much the same as sharpening a knife or is there more to it, and will cheaper axes sharpen up ok?

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
are axes easy to keep sharp?? is it much the same as sharpening a knife or is there more to it, and will cheaper axes sharpen up ok?

The edge retention question is subjective really - a good axe will keep an edge, a rubbish one won't! Keep in mind that you're smacking it off wood, a good axe won't keep a razor sharp edge as long as a good knife. The sharpening question is also subjective - some axes are overhardened and a pain to sharpen - some are too soft and easy to sharpen. British Red did a great tutorial on axe sharpening in the Edged Tools section, though, might wanna check it out.

Looks reasonable for the price, but you can find Bahco axes with the same head profile and a wood handle for around a tenner online...

Pete

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A friend of my lad is working at Argos and told him about the axe, plus rumour has it that they intend to increase the range of camping gear this year so its worth checking the site from time to time.

Dec 23, 2008
County Durham

I bought an axe from a market in York which was exactly the same shape and size as this one and it was rubbish. This one may be made from decent steel but the one I had was pants.

I struggled to get an edge on it, other than polishing it my angle grinder never touched it and had to use my Dads heavy duty grinder at his garage.

The head is also cast which ended up breaking into three pieces so ended up in the bin.
I think I kept the handle though.

Hope this helps

1st post by the way!

Osric

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
I was in a branch of Argos the other day, and the latest catalogue has quite a lot of camping and outdoors related items. Genuine Trangias, Sigg bottles, lots of tents, etc.

Looks like a nice attempt at providing for a newly popular market.

A friend of my lad is working at Argos and told him about the axe, plus rumour has it that they intend to increase the range of camping gear this year so its worth checking the site from time to time.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Thanks for the info guys draven in your experience would you think the argos or bahco axes to be an ok buy for a nooby, not really got much experience of using them other that when we have stayed at the odd cottage with a wood fire and I have had to split a few logsI

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
looks to me like a cheap knock off one of bahco's axes, probably made in china. it says its made of carbon steel but that doesnt meen its good quality. also it could be badly tempered, too hard or soft. for a few more quid or the same price if you shop around you can get one made by bahco which is a name you can trust.

pete

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I like the look of it. As folk say you never know until you play with it how good the temper and grind is but its not expensive or difficult to harden and temper a bit of carbon steel and can be done as well in China as anywhere. Do we know where the bahco axes are made?

I will pick one up and have a play next time I am in Buxton and report back.

From the dimensions and weight it is slightly lighter than a Swedish carving axe and heavier than wildlife hatchet but with a one hand handle not a long handle like the SFA. Could be good for carving, firewood and general camp axe.

I would like to find a £10 axe that works well, just like the Frosts clipper this sort of thing makes the hobby all the more accessible.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Thanks for the info guys draven in your experience would you think the argos or bahco axes to be an ok buy for a nooby, not really got much experience of using them other that when we have stayed at the odd cottage with a wood fire and I have had to split a few logsI

I reallly don't have enough experience to say tbh - the bahco axes are very highly regarded, though I've never used one - I do intend to buy one soon though. I use an A. Finlay axe which might be a bit steeply priced for someone without much experience and therefore unsure of what they're looking for. I also have a Rolson hatchet I bought at a fleamarket for £3.99 new, which was decent once I fixed the grind.

Osric - I wouldn't judge it by that, it's a pretty common head profile, I bought a fibreglass handled one with the same head profile that was utter rubbish a few years back, but as said, the Bahco axes are the same shape and are very well thought of. It seems the issue with mine was the same as yours - way too hard, sharpening was near impossible. I personally don't have a problem with a cast axe head as long as it's done right though.

Pete

Dec 23, 2008
County Durham
I reallly don't have enough experience to say tbh - the bahco axes are very highly regarded, though I've never used one - I do intend to buy one soon though. I use an A. Finlay axe which might be a bit steeply priced for someone without much experience and therefore unsure of what they're looking for. I also have a Rolson hatchet I bought at a fleamarket for £3.99 new, which was decent once I fixed the grind.

Osric - I wouldn't judge it by that, it's a pretty common head profile, I bought a fibreglass handled one with the same head profile that was utter rubbish a few years back, but as said, the Bahco axes are the same shape and are very well thought of. It seems the issue with mine was the same as yours - way too hard, sharpening was near impossible. I personally don't have a problem with a cast axe head as long as it's done right though.

Pete

I was just annoyed that it broke half way through getting my firewood ready for the night. I wasn't too devastated because just thinking about it over the last few minutes, I'm sure I only paid £2.50 for it. :)

Osric

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I bought an axe from a market in York which was exactly the same shape and size as this one and it was rubbish. This one may be made from decent steel but the one I had was pants.

I struggled to get an edge on it, other than polishing it my angle grinder never touched it and had to use my Dads heavy duty grinder at his garage.

The head is also cast which ended up breaking into three pieces so ended up in the bin.
I think I kept the handle though.

Hope this helps

1st post by the way!

Osric

It would be a help Osric, if you had done a real comparison between the Argos axe and your axe which 'looks similar' instead of speculating? Its like saying a crap £40 tipi looks like a Hex 3 so the Hex is crap. The Argos axe may well be rubbish, but we won't know until someone buys and uses one for real.

Welcome to the forum mate :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I am going to buy one tommorow. I need a cheap axe for splitting wood at home having chipped my SFA twice in 3 days. Argos says they have them in stock.

I'll put up a few pics. Any particular pics you want, grind, profile, grain, head attachment and allignment, top view?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I am going to buy one tommorow. I need a cheap axe for splitting wood at home having chipped my SFA twice in 3 days. Argos says they have them in stock.

I'll put up a few pics. Any particular pics you want, grind, profile, grain, head attachment and allignment, top view?

A quick review would be great Bill, good or bad,

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE