Argh mega frustration!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
So in my area there is very little birch, and I finally managed to get hold of a small log, about 5 inches thick and a metre long or so.. I'd already done a bit with it, and decided I wanted a half decent project so decided on a ladle. I used about half of what was left with it, so a fair old amount too.. Was nearing the finish of the work with the billhook, a few final finishing cuts when the entire thing snapped at the join of the neck and the bowl!! Mega frustrating after all the work put in, especially since I never get the chance to carve birch! Just wanted to vent my frustration here..

What super frustrating things have happened to you guys along similar lines?

Cheers, Harry

(mods if its the wrong place feel free to move)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Sorry to hear that. Very frustrating to have stuff go wrong. I`ve snapped some (read: many) spoons in half while carving. One of the more frustrating things that happened to me was when I was trying to make a knife sheath. I cut over the wrong line I drew without much thought and cut the thing in half. Stupid of me, but still frustrating. I guess it is all part of making things though. We screw up, learn from it and then screw up a little bit less on the next try.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got a kuksa which somebody made for me a good few years ago, after fettling with it recently I finally got round to using it. The first brew I made opened up a couple of nasty cracks and spilt coffee all over the worktop in the kitchen.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I split a sycamore kuksa blank in half when I was nearly done with the axe :(. Wasn't too big a blow because it was fairly rubbish anyway.

It is frustrating when it happens though! :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I always stop any roughing out with an axe very early. I am getting better with my axe control but my accuracy isn't brilliant so I stop and get the knife out working on a block.

I've split a good few spoon bowls because I wasn't precise enough with my stop cuts but that is usually at the beginning of a project so less upsetting.

With my birch sporks I nearly ruined one of them by splitting a tine off but managed to salvage it. Once you've made a mistake a couple of times then you can learn from it and not do it again!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have had over 40 hours invested in a bow and had it fail after 50 arrows....... More times than I wish to remember. Last week infact :(
More often than not I have about 10 hours invested and it shows signs of failure before it even has a chance of being a bow.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE