Are you left handed, right handed, mixed or ambidextrous?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What is your dominant hand?

• Left

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Right

Votes: 33 58.9%
  • Mixed

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Ambidextrous

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm right handed except when I'm left handed. Not ambidextrous as I can't do everything with both hands equally but i do different things better with different hands. I can't tell you what I just do it with the right hand side for the job without thinking about it.

A few weeks back I learnt that my dad is one of those truly rare people who are fully ambidextrous. For example he writes with both hands exactly the same. He can sign cheques with both hands no doubt at the same time too! Not his only talent. He's got a perfect ear for pitch. Musically important and rare but not much good IRL. He can play tunes he's heard on the piano from memory. Except his modern jazz. I think that's because it's just noise not music. Considering that's the musical genre he likes and knows, his skill is even less important!

BTW I wonder if people can be ambidextrous but not know it? I mean I learnt to write in the 70s and we were taught to write right handed. Was not allowed to write left handed. If anyone of my generation who was taught to write like I was is actually ambidextrous then without actually writing with both hands regularly you might not realise. I mean remember how hard it was to write with your good hand, it would be like that so you simply might not learn you're ambidextrous.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I'm right handed except when I'm left handed. Not ambidextrous as I can't do everything with both hands equally but i do different things better with different hands. I can't tell you what I just do it with the right hand side for the job without thinking about it.

A few weeks back I learnt that my dad is one of those truly rare people who are fully ambidextrous. For example he writes with both hands exactly the same. He can sign cheques with both hands no doubt at the same time too! Not his only talent. He's got a perfect ear for pitch. Musically important and rare but not much good IRL. He can play tunes he's heard on the piano from memory. Except his modern jazz. I think that's because it's just noise not music. Considering that's the musical genre he likes and knows, his skill is even less important!

BTW I wonder if people can be ambidextrous but not know it? I mean I learnt to write in the 70s and we were taught to write right handed. Was not allowed to write left handed. If anyone of my generation who was taught to write like I was is actually ambidextrous then without actually writing with both hands regularly you might not realise. I mean remember how hard it was to write with your good hand, it would be like that so you simply might not learn you're ambidextrous.
I have an aunt (professional musician) and she is the same musically - it’s astonishing, I swear she only had to hear something once to be able to play it on any number of instruments

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I’m fundamentally right handed, right eye dominant but my right shoulder is knackered so I’m forced to do anything over shoulder height with my left.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have an aunt (professional musician) and she is the same musically - it’s astonishing, I swear she only had to hear something once to be able to play it on any number of instruments
He comes from a musical family. Royal college of music trained, orchestra members, music teachers, highly regarded piano teachers, piano, violin, cello, etc. However the one with "the perfect ear" basically did very little. Trumpet for a bit, I think violin for even less and piano his mum the teacher couldn't get to learn. However when I was about 28 I found out for the first time that he could do the piano from ear, as in hear something then mostly play it, both hands! I think many ppl can play right hand melody but not both hands from ear.

I shared a room with a guy like first year at uni for 2 weeks. He would sit at the halls of residence piano and play it while waiting to be picked up by mates. It was amazing to hear him play many different styles of music at whim. You'd hear him play a difficult classical piece then drift into a piano version of Eric Clapton then some high energy boogiewoogie piano. Then he'd just switch to something popular. Then mid tune he'd get up bored and move off. Strange fella!

Reactions: MrEd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE