Are you left handed, right handed, mixed or ambidextrous?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What is your dominant hand?

• Left

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Right

Votes: 33 58.9%
  • Mixed

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Ambidextrous

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
My possibly biased observation has been that there are quit a lot of left handed folk interested in bushcraft, relative to the national average. I am wondering if this is so.

Poll explanation,
left or right is self explanatory,
ambidextrous for doing whatever task equally well with either hand,
mixed(for want of a better name) doing some things best with one hand and other things best with the other.

Reactions: cbrdave and TeeDee

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
From a child, it was as natural to write with my left, I use my right the most as most things are right biased. Using tools I use both hands, handy using screw drivers and saws in awkward places. I’m right eye dominant so shoot right handed but still do so with my left though.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Mixed. Write with my right (badly), left footed, swing a bat from my left and play racquet sports with both.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I used to be ambidextrous but due to neuropathy I now lean more to the right than I used to having considerable weakness in my left hand.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Mixed. It's a matter of convenience. I have always been most comfortable, writing with my left hand and using eating utensils. String instruments, right handed.

As I've said ad nauseum, I do a lot of wood carving. Most of that is ambi. I even practice the chipping action with an elbow adze to texture a large carving surface for finish. No matter how hard I try, my left hand strikes are always worse than my right hand strikes. I can tell which is which in hand-sized patches.

no idea....
before i get stupid comments i try to explain: when i started using crayons and pencils as a little kid i held the always in my left hand -- until my mother noticed and forced me to hold them in my right hand (she actually got angry with me on several occasions and smacked me into doing it right handed...) when i started playing with bows (ca. 5y.o.) and slingshots (ca. 7-8y.o.) i always held them in my right hand which felt ways more comfortable, only switching hands because every other kid held them in their right hand and i thought i'm doing it wrong....(took me some time to feel comfortable switching hands)--- which would to me indicate i'm actually left-handed....
nowadays i'm doing most tasks with my right hand, but there's (still) tasks i can do equally well with both hands or where i actually prefer to use my left hand (i've been asked more than once it i'm left-handed as a result)...

Reactions: Robson Valley

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Mixed. Writing with my left. Eating = fork/spoon in right hand and knife in left.
Using tools =right hand. Throwing stuff =left hand.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Left handed (and left dominant eye) for more or less everything apart form a sword (making me the ultimate fighting machine... pistol in the left hand sword I my right ) and tools that I have to use right handed ie: chainsaw, scissors etc.

Sent from Somerset using magic

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Right, but that might be just a case of training. The difference isn't so significant.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I fear the vote will prove inconclusive. Perhaps it was a mistake to put Mixed as an option. What I am reading is a lot of people who might have been classed as Left handed have figured ways to work with both and have voted in mixed.

Reactions: Robson Valley

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Our family is equally split 50/50. Four ‘lefties’ and four ‘righties’.
My wife is RH with three of the children and I’m LH with the other three.
S

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE