Are you interested in HE Bushcraft Qualifications?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Which is why I asked the question;

I wondered, if you wanted a career change later in life, if this would help open doors?

[In various other jobs, not just bushcraft instruction or guiding]

Or wouldnt it be specific enough? I dont know......

And i never mentioned your example, learning to use a bowdrill

that I can start a fire without a source of ignition

I mentioned, as one example of many, courses such as practical ethnobotany and plant identification, understanding the properties of plants trees and fungi. 8-12 month courses. With an NCFE 2Q level 4 qualification at the end of it.

Im doing a similiar 12 month course at the moment with a well respected bushcraft instructor, so I have a natural curiousity if I could take that further, and in which directions I could go....

Anything wrong with that?

Last edited:

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Im doing a similiar 12 month course at the moment with a well respected bushcraft instructor, so I have a natural curiousity if I could take that further, and in which directions I could go....

Anything wrong with that?

I wish you every success in your endeavors.

Please don't miss interpret or quote posts out of context, the trivial example I gave was simply to make the point regarding qualification, teach me the skill that's tangible and valuable; give me a piece of paper saying I can do it is of no value whatsoever.

I like your choice of words "well respected" bushcraft instructor rather than "well qualified".

Reputation is a great and meaningful credential.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Would it be fair or accurate to say that bushcraft is about applied skills, solely involved with the practical use of a range of skills in a wilderness setting? If that is the case, then 'bushcraft studies' might be seen, not so much as a means of 'qualifying' their ability to, say, light fire by friction, but as an extended, academic study, borne out of interest in the diverse subjects that are associated with that skill. I would imagine that you would not become 'qualified' in it so much as given a certificate to say that you satisfied the criteria laid down by the body administering such a course. Perhaps anyone who takes part in such research might be seen as certified...?

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Tiley this thread has been done to death but I offer a response to your post.

Bear in mind the OP is an integral and respected part of a business selling bushcraft and associated experiences which is all well and good whilst it is undertaken as a vocational activity, undertaken for enjoyment and for some to learn new skills or hone existing skills.

However, the intention of the OP is to formalise the whole thing with the introduction of high level qualifications, why, I suggest to provide future security for the business she is involved with. Don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with that either, but to use the formal qualification route to do so is not in my opinion a desirable route.

From the original post – “Attendance would be required for several 5-day module blocks spread over a 1-2 year period.”

If the OP is successful it will not be long before it will be a requirement to hold the qualification if you want to teach others, European countries generally love regulation, the more the better as itself provides jobs.

We are very fortunate to be able to get involved at any level with bushcraft and survival activities with no formal regulation, and I would very much like it to stay that way.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I put this course up there with other really useful courses like Media Studies and Golf Course Design. BR, John and Wayland summed it all up for me anyway.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
We are very fortunate to be able to get involved at any level with bushcraft and survival activities with no formal regulation, and I would very much like it to stay that way.

I agree with this entirely. But it is worth remembering that climbing and mountaineering offer similar levels of outdoor freedom; individuals can pursue the activities with no need for any qualification, formal or otherwise. But for those who have the time, skill and inclination to follow a course which leads to a qualification, there is that facility. It does not impinge or diminish the pleasure and freedom of those who climb for sheer pleasure and ultimate challenge in any way, shape or form.

Couldn't there be a similar happy co-existence between the people who do bushcraft purely for the deep-felt love of our chosen activity alongside those who choose to pursue a formal certification? Since both parties are united in their passion to indulge in this ultimate hobby, that common ground shouldn't result in division, surely?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I put this course up there with other really useful courses like Media Studies and Golf Course Design. BR, John and Wayland summed it all up for me anyway.

I would compare it more with the BCU Star and Coach Awards - great if you want to teach, of no use otherwise ....

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
I agree with this entirely. But it is worth remembering that climbing and mountaineering offer similar levels of outdoor freedom; individuals can pursue the activities with no need for any qualification, formal or otherwise. But for those who have the time, skill and inclination to follow a course which leads to a qualification, there is that facility. It does not impinge or diminish the pleasure and freedom of those who climb for sheer pleasure and ultimate challenge in any way, shape or form.

Couldn't there be a similar happy co-existence between the people who do bushcraft purely for the deep-felt love of our chosen activity alongside those who choose to pursue a formal certification? Since both parties are united in their passion to indulge in this ultimate hobby, that common ground shouldn't result in division, surely?

We'll said.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
why do people want to make money from a hobbyist who just wants to learn old skills and enjoy the outdoors? suddenly you have to have expert instruction, and be accredited to be taken seriously. who cares? greed and a way into your wallet is the only motive.

with over 40 years in the construction industry i have seen similar schemes creep in like a slow moving thick fog, eventually stifling the life out of it. now it is awash with tickets, certificates and other endorsements saying you are qualified to pick up a shovel!

it is a huge money maker for those who dream up these schemes, and that is the only reason they exist.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
This is going to end up in a circular argument.

Those involved in providing bushcraft experience/instruction are going to be in favour of qualifications/certification because it reinforces their businesses.

The ordinary practiser of bushcraft would be in favour of instruction but indifferent to qualifications/certification.

We can ALL benefit form instruction but ONLY those running businesses providing instruction would benefit from qualifications/certification.

If there was a true need for qualification/certification it would stem from the grass root practitioners of our hobby, it doesn’t because there is no demand or need for it.

As woodsprirts states an example of the end result of this in one industry, we have all seen this to some extent in others do we really want bushcraft to even begin to go down this road – ABSOLUTLY NOT.

Would this be a UCAS recognised Qualification?

If so I may be interested, after all having a nationally recognised qualification in a subject you have an interest in can only be a good thing.

If were honest a level 5/6 qualification in Bushcraft is a little less silly and a whole lot more useful than a level 5/6 qualification in Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

I know from Personal experience Siemens Employed people because they had a degree, some of which were not relative to the job role (I worked in IT support alongside people with degrees in Food nutrition, Marine biology and 1 or 2 in Computer Science)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE