Are these any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've just bought one. After getting it I have decided to get a W11 as it's more my thing

I haven't had much chance to use it as I've been in nottingham and haven't even finished sharpening it yet.
The blade is strong being 4mm thick, it will slice OK when it's got a shar edge on it. this wont be idea for woodwork though so if I was keeping it I'd put a convex edge on it (I don't intend to do this to mine as I'm likely to sell it). The factory edge is a bit over 20degrees per side which means it's taking a long time to sharpen on a sharpmaker. It packs a lot of cutting edge into a small package but the tip is quite high so control isn't as good as some other knives, I'm used to a F1 though and it's good enough.
The handle is ok. I like the checked pattern on the bottom half of the handle as it's not too aggresive but gives good grip no matter what. II like the way the tange isn't quite full but rather a mortice type. However the wood isn't quite flush with the tang and the rivits aren't quite flush either. This is a niggle but doesn't seem to afftect use though. Size wise the handle is a good thickness but is a little short. I was worried but it seems ok for my hands but I don't think anyone with bigge hands would like it (I'm a size 8.5 - 9 with gloves).
The sheath is good, basic but well finished and has a smallish belt loop which doesn't move about on a standard belt unlike the sheath of the F1 (which is huge). It will hold the knife in upside done and has a nice click as it forms around the cutout in the handle for the index finger.

I can't comment on how good the factory edge as mine was second hand but the EKA pocket knives I've seen have been pritty good (I'm fairly good at putting a good sharp edge on things so tend to be a bit critical of edges). It's a good knife but I've decided I'd be beter off with the W11 for the slightly longer handle and a grind which I can convert to a scandi grind. The H8 seems like it be a good choice for hunters and I believe that's what the H stands for (8 being the blade length)

daveymonkey

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2005
get the w11 thats what ive got, the only thing im not keen on is the sheath as it gets quite loose and has no liner but apart from that it really is a fantastic piece of kit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE