Are these any good? Would they melt?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey All,

I've had my eye on a dutch oven for years now and the last few trips I've been on where people have had them and used them to makes stews and breads etc has almost conviced me to buy one.....almost ;)

Anyway, one of the biggest put offs for me is the weight of the things so when I came across these I wondered if they'd be any good. Certainly I've managed to melt through ali cookware on fires before so I'm aware it's possible but do you think it would happen to these?

http://www.camping-gear-outlet.com/camping-gear-9840.html

Anyone seen or used an ali dutch oven before?

Many thanks in advance,

Bam. :D

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i dont know about melting them.. i think that would probably be quite difficult, but i understand they are relativly easy to crack if you do not treat them properly when heating/cooling rapidly (eg when adding a lot of cold water to a hot pot) there is tonnes of books and info on US sites about cooking specificly in a duch oven (if you have rutstrums 'new way of the wilderness' i think there is a chapeter on it) i think if you read up on how to look after them you should be fine with one.

EDIT: doh.. i really should have read bams post in full shouldnt i.

Does anybody know where I can get a set of three/four LARGE cook pots that will stack into each other? We take groups of upto 10 away so they need to be quite large sizes. One to be used for a constant supply of boiling water and the rest for warming curries/chillies/rices, beans/scrammbled eggs etc.
The main features is that they stack into each other to save space and can be used on an open fire and they are large. Not too bothered about weight.
Kindest regards.
Johnny F

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
I'd always go for stainless, but to each their own. You can be pretty sure it won't melt and you can scrub it clean. when non-stick starts to come away you can't scrub off dirt without ruining it further. And aluminium gets bashed about a fair bit, though i wouldn't worry too much about the alzheimers threat (if you were), i think that has been disproved. Aluminium generally can only be properly cleaned (to shiny) by removing a layer of aluminium oxide, which dangerous or not will end up partly in your food, mostly in the dish water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE