Are there two lines of Wetterlings axes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
I recall reading somewhere (and am now unable to find) that there were two distinct product lines at Wetterlings, with one being something more akin to hand-forged and the other more automated. There's nothing on their website that would indicate two manufacturing processes. Have I confused Wetterlings with another manufacturer?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
You could be thinking of when the company changed hands. I believe there is a difference in quality in some of the older ones and the newer ones. I'm afraid I don't know much more than that.

leon-1

I recall reading somewhere (and am now unable to find) that there were two distinct product lines at Wetterlings, with one being something more akin to hand-forged and the other more automated. There's nothing on their website that would indicate two manufacturing processes. Have I confused Wetterlings with another manufacturer?

Not that I was aware of. I am under the belief that Wetterlings are now part of Gransfors Bruks, hence the price hike a few years ago.

Are you thinking of Hultafors? I'm sure there are two different versions of their axes.

I have a trade account with Hultafors, they have 2 distinct lines as far as axes are concerned. Effectively the Classic range has a more traditional Scandinavian style head amongst other things. You pay a premium for this, for instance the trekking axe with an 800gm head and 17.5 inch handle costs £35 retail, the classic trekking axe with the 500gm head and 14 inch handle has a suggested retail price prior to VAT of £58.60.

As someone who does a bit of leatherwork as well I will say that the axe masks aren't brilliant in any way shape or form, but the normal trekking axe is a beast and is more than worth the money you pay for it

rg598

Native
Wetterlings does have (or at least did until a few years back) two lines of axes. One is the Gransfors clones with which we are familiar, which were introduced in the mid to late 1990s. The other is their older models with painted heads that look more like store bought axes. You can still find them at some distributors.

Both types are made the same way on an open dye forge. Neither is actually truly hand made.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE