Are there free litter pick available in the UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi

I've been taking part in the Keep Britian Tidy's campaign with 'The big clean up', and I find it quiet disgusting at how much litter is being thrown out of cars along our quiet country lanes.
I have recieved some free litter bags from them, but it seems I have to buy the litter picks, which would be very usefull for rubbis stuck in thorney, brambley hadges.

So far a 2 hours and a 1/2 a mile walk has seen 3 bin bags full of rubbish, cans, plastic bottles, food wrappers being the main culprits.

I have done this a fair few times over the years, but recently the problem seems to have gotten worse.

England's green and plesent land....NOT!

So, does anyone know where I might be able to get a free litter pick from, it would sure make my life easier?
(Poor, unemployed student here)

Thanks for the help,
Paul

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Try yer local council matey....I work in Cardiff council on Parks an' gardens/highways....an' we have them issued.....try askin' ifin they have any old ones knockin' about fella . Keep up the good work goodjob

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Cheers for the advise Capin B, I'll give them a try, and thanks for the encouragement. It's pleasently suprising how many drivers give me a smile and the thumbs up when they realise what I'm doing. Just a shame a few spoil the countryside for the many...

A nail, stick and string could work, but it would be great to get a proper one, good idea though.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
just landed a job with my local council ,swansea bay beach warden, i have to do litter picking for them,i cant belive the mess some fishermen leave around the gower coast.
its a place of out standing natural beauty to.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Hello! Bushcraft forum! Make one... you'll need some strong cordage, 50lB test dacron would be perfect, three pieces of wood (one of which should be a long stick, but not longer than your cordage, or significantly shorter, one for a 'jaw' mechanism and a third for the 'trigger' mechanism) a sharp knife, possibly an awl or drill bit, a little patience and some imagination.

How about a 'bushcraft litter picker comp' ?

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
I agree with Capn, ask your local council mate. I live right near the local heath and got into a discussion with one of the rangers and offered to pick up some of the rubbish on my travels. Next day she brought round gloves, bin liners and 2 litter pickers!

The bin liners are green and have the council logo on and she said that whenever I fill one just to leave it by the side of any road and the refuse collectors will automatically pick it up.

She was grateful for the help she said.

Good luck!

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
"she said that whenever I fill one just to leave it by the side of any road and the refuse collectors will automatically pick it up."

That's pretty cool. I never see litter picker out and about, otherwise I'd tap em up for a spare!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I live in a small town, Aberdare. A few years ago the council put new rubbish bins all over town, you don't have to walk more than maybe 30-40 metres to find a bin and yet the streets are full or rubbish, it really, really p****s me off.

While I'm having a bit of a rant, I always open a door for a women in shops, so when did people stop saying 'thanks'? I wish I could say its just youngsters who are this rude, but the pensioners are just as bad:rolleyes:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I live in a small town, Aberdare. A few years ago the council put new rubbish bins all over town, you don't have to walk more than maybe 30-40 metres to find a bin and yet the streets are full or rubbish, it really, really p****s me off.

While I'm having a bit of a rant, I always open a door for a women in shops, so when did people stop saying 'thanks'? I wish I could say its just youngsters who are this rude, but the pensioners are just as bad:rolleyes:

I find a loud "THANK YOU, THAT'S OK YOU'RE WELCOME" does much to restore my previous good humour :D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

I do the same and likewise it p33s me off that some folk ignore you.

I find a loud "THANK YOU, THAT'S OK YOU'RE WELCOME" does much to restore my previous good humour :D

I find saying 'Pardon' loudly usually makes them stop and I then say... 'sorry I thought I heard you say thank you!' :D

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I see a Guy every morning as I drive to work, he walks the wrong way up the cylce track and picks up all the litter by hand. he then deposits it in the bin at the end.

I have great admiration for this Guy and anyone else who tries to make is place a bit tidier.

My personal bug bear is finding Mc Donald,s packaging dumped miles away from any Mc d's:aargh4:

Richard

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Something I should have suggested earlier.

You want a free litter pick then why not get offenders on Community Payback do the work? Litter picking footpaths / cycle paths and rural roads are the sort of jobs I would quite happily consider as a good job for them to do.

Details here to nominate a project in your area

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I work for Manchester city and we have a "Campaigns Team" which give out litter pickers, binbags T shirts etc to individuals and groups FOC

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you're still stuck Taws I saw those grabber things in B&M this morning, about 80cm long and a couple of quid each I think.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
" grabber things in B&M this morning, about 80cm long and a couple of quid each I think"
Huh, cheapest I've seen them is like £5/£6. I'm suprised they're not availible for free.

Hi Mick, that's very kind of you, I'll make good use of it!

PM me your address/paypal, and I'll refund your postage cost m8

Cheers
Paul.

Last edited:

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Something I should have suggested earlier.

You want a free litter pick then why not get offenders on Community Payback do the work? Litter picking footpaths / cycle paths and rural roads are the sort of jobs I would quite happily consider as a good job for them to do.

Details here to nominate a project in your area

Steve, we get them round on my estate to do litter picks etc, they do a fantastic job in making it tidy.

It helps if there is a Tenants and Residents Association in the area who can organise it through the relevant council department we have found. As a founding member of our TRA i can recommend folks setting them up in their own community, we have improved where we live dramatically with crime and anti social behaviour dropping considerably since we started. We organise trips out for the kids and trips for the elderly, we get repairs done, ie street lights, trees pruned, roads re-surfaced, security lighting for the elderly. For the past 3 years we have teamed up with the local primary/junior school to make up Christmas food hampers from donations to give out to the elderly on the estate. We get grants from the council for stationery etc.

Oh, and in return for taking the kids on trips and residentials is that we get them to also litter pick or tidy up the old folk's gardens.

Sorry for going off topic slightly but you are doing what we started 3 years ago so i take my hat off to you.

Well done TAWs6 for taking up the incentive.goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE