Are Streamlines Legal to use in UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Slightly different but this kind of hand-fishing was trialled recently in the US :eek:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1495333,00.html

But in answer to your question ,John, I don't think it is legal. My understanding is that the use of an unlicensed instrument is an offence contrary to Section 27(a) of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975. The only legal way to fish in freshwater is by the use of a rod and line, to be in possession of a valid Agency rod licence and by obtaining the fishery owners permission to fish.

Some guys got fined for it a few years back

Full Story here:
http://www.ogmoreriver.com/info/River_pollution.php

You can use them for crabs though ;) :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Wow,
I'm somewhat dismayed, I though the offence would be leaving the line unnattended or "nightlining". But it would appear to be the hand-lines themselves that are illegal to use in fresh water :( The offence being use of an unlicenced instrument!

Ogri the trog

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nemisis said:
Bummer I suppose that means no hand grenades either then?

Good one............Reminds me in a way of the Hamlet (I think) advert of a guy fishing using a record player (thats an old fashioned cd player to all you youngsters). He was playing Des o Connor and all the fish jumped out the water into his net. Loved it......................Jon

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
Ogri the trog said:
Wow,
I'm somewhat dismayed, I though the offence would be leaving the line unnattended or "nightlining". But it would appear to be the hand-lines themselves that are illegal to use in fresh water :( The offence being use of an unlicenced instrument!

Ogri the trog

could you not say the line was a guitar string and that a guitar being a legal instrument and not requiring a license ergo the guitar streamline would be legal :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
MagiKelly said:
Like the heading says. Are Streamlines legal to use in the UK?

www.Streamlines.com

I had always believed that it was illegal to coarse fish with a hand line in the UK but someone on BB was fairly sure that a Streamline woud be legal. I would love if it were so as I have a couple and they would be good to use if I could.

I don't think I'd better comment on this thread...I'm already being watched by Maver :27: (walks off quietly to avoid another roasting ;) )

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
No-one stipulates as to how long your fishing rod has to be. As long as you have permission to fish and have a valid Rod Licence, you could fish perfectly legally with a hand-line tied to a stick, even if the stick was only a couple of feet long. You don't have to have a reel (Look at pole-anglers), and you certainly don't need a posh bit of carbon fibre thats been sold as a fishing rod for it to qualify as exactly that. A stick is the most "natural" fishing rod you can get.

I think that it most likely that the guys prosecuted for using handlines were in fact doing so without a Rod Licence, and that was the root cause of their troubles. I cannot imagine any EA Bailiff being so heavy-handed as to prosecute for the use of a handline if the user were in posession of valid licences to fish. It MAY be that you would be warned about the possible problems associated with handlining though. Lets face it, most who handline are going to be using "proper" monofilament nylon fishing line. This stuff is thin and strong. Trying to land fish much bigger than half a pound or so will lead to all sorts of problems. The line will cut into your hands. The fish will suffer unduly in the eyes of many by being on the line an excessive amount of time, simply because you cannot get it in fast enough. Try landing a larger fish with a handline and you'll appreciate the problems. Don't forget, some species of freshwater fish in Britain grow to in excess of 40 lbs.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Of course not. Possession of a hand grenade will get you locked up under the provention of terrorism act before you can say 'I was only fishing'. Aslo note that the use of explosives to kill wild animals is strictly prohibited under the wildlife and countryside act 1981.

Ed

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Ed said:
Of course not. Possession of a hand grenade will get you locked up under the provention of terrorism act before you can say 'I was only fishing'. Aslo note that the use of explosives to kill wild animals is strictly prohibited under the wildlife and countryside act 1981.

Ed
What about seagulls and bicabonate of soda? ;)
Does it class as explosive? :confused:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Best bet is to visit the environment agency website and check your local byelaws, for those in the southern region, the fisheries byelaws are as follows, there are athers and byelaws are different from region to region, as far as i am aware hand lining or fishing with a fixed line is illegal unless you have the appropriate licence in place from the EA.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ENVIRONMENT AGENCY
SOUTHERN REGION FISHERIES BYELAWS
Update 2002/03
1. Application of Byelaws
These Byelaws shall apply to the Southern Region of the Environment Agency with the exception of the
catchment of the Rivers Darent and Cray in Kent where Thames Region Byelaws apply.
2. Interpretation
(a) Under the Transitional Provisions of the Water Act 1989, Environment Act 1995 and the associated Orders
references in these Byelaws to the Southern Water Authority are shown below as the Environment Agency or
the Agency.
(b) Other expressions shall have the meaning assigned to them by Section 41(1) of the Salmon and Freshwater
Fisheries Act 1975.
(c) In these Byelaws unless the context otherwise requires:-
"Agency" means the Environment Agency;
(d) "Southern Region" means the area of the Agency where the former Southern Region of the National Rivers
Authority carried out its functions in relation to fisheries under the Water Resources Act 1991;
(e) The meaning of the word drain shall not be confined to that assigned to it by the Salmon and Freshwater
Fisheries Act 1975 or the Water Resources Act 1991.
(f) Any lake, reservoir or pond which discharges to any river, stream, canal or drain shall not itself be regarded as
a river, stream, canal or drain.
(g) Non-native fish means either fish species not ordinarily resident in England or Wales or species included in
Part 1 of Schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
3. NATIONAL BYELAW 3 PHASE 1 Migratory Salmonid Catch Returns
Replaces Regional Byelaw 3
Confirmed 18th Dec 1996
Date of implementation 31st Dec 1996
(1) All licensed salmon and sea trout anglers must make a return by 1st January in the following year. This
includes "Nil" returns. The return form is attached to the angler's rod licence.
(2) All licensed salmon and sea trout netsmen must make monthly returns within 7 days of the end of each month
during the fishing season. This includes "Nil" returns. Agency Regions shall provide return forms to licensed
netsmen.
4. Annual Close Season for Salmon (Rod and Line)
The annual Close Season for fishing for salmon with rod and line shall be the period between October 2nd and
January 17th following. Dates not inclusive.
5. Annual Close Season for Migratory Trout (Rod and Line)
Welcome to the Environment Agency, Southern Region. This document provides all the necessary Byelaw
information that you will require to fish legally in this Region. Whether participating in recreational
angling or commercial fishing please follow these Byelaws to help us protect the beautiful water
environment for your and future generations enjoyment.
The annual Close Season for migratory trout with rod and line shall be the period between October 31st and May
1st following. Dates not inclusive.
6. Annual Close Season for Non-Migratory including Rainbow Trout
The annual Close Season for fishing for non-migratory trout with rod and line on all waters shall be the period
between October 31st and April 3rd following. Dates not inclusive.
EXCEPT THAT – Please see National Byelaw 7 Phase 1 – Rainbow Trout Close Season
7. Prohibited Modes of Fishing
During the annual Close Season for freshwater fish (the period between March 14th and June 16th) no person shall
fish with rod and line for salmon, migratory trout or non-migratory trout (including rainbow trout), other than
with an artificial fly or lure, without the previous consent of the Agency in writing.
8 Prohibited Instruments
The use of any instrument (not being a fixed engine) for taking salmon, trout or freshwater fish is hereby
prohibited. Provided that this Byelaw shall not apply to:
(a) the use of rod and line (which shall not be left unattended) and a landing net or tailer used as auxiliary to
angling with rod and line;
(b) the use of a licensed net for salmon or migratory trout;
(c) the use with previous consent in writing of the Agency of any instrument in connection with:
(i) stocking, restocking or breeding fish
(ii) scientific purposes
(iii) improvement or preservation of a several fishery
(iv) any other purpose approved by the Agency
(d) the use of any instrument by an officer of the Environment Agency acting in their official capacity.
8A.Prohibition on the use of lead weights
(i) Subject to paragraph (ii) below, no person shall on or after June 1st 1987 use for taking salmon, trout,
freshwater fish or eels in any waters within the Southern Region Fisheries Area any fishing line to which is
attached, directly or indirectly, any lead in the form of a lead weight.
(ii) Paragraph (i) above dose not prohibit the use of a lead weight 0.06 grams or less, or of more than 28.35
grams.
Interpretation
For the purpose of this Byelaw: “lead” includes any alloy or compound of lead; “lead weight” means split or shot
or any other thing suitable for weighting fishing lines which is neither incorporated and fully enclosed in the core
of the fishing line, nor incorporated in the construction of a swim-feeder, self-cocking float or a fishing lure; “
fishing lure” means any device, including a fishing fly, which is designed to attract fish and which incorporates a
fishing hook.
9. Taking of Undersized Trout
No person shall take any trout of a size less than hereinafter specified: migratory trout 38cm; non-migratory trout
23cm. The size shall be measured from the tip of the snout to the fork or cleft of the tail when the fish is laid flat.
PROVIDED that this Byelaw shall not apply to any person who: (a) takes any undersized trout unknowingly or
unintentionally if he at once returns it to the water with as little injury as possible or: (b) with the previous
consent in writing of the Agency (which may be given subject to such conditions as the Agency thinks fit), takes
any undersized trout for scientific purpose or for the purpose of protecting, improving or replacing stocks of fish.
(c) being the owner or occupier of a fish farm (or the servant or agent of any such owner or occupier) takes any
undersized trout from that fish farm.
10. Annual Close Season for Salmon and Migratory Trout (Netting)
The annual Close Season for fishing for salmon and migratory trout otherwise than with rod and line, shall be the
period between July 31st and February 15th following.
11. The Weekly Close Season for fishing for Salmon and Migratory Trout other than with Rod and Line
The weekly Close Season for fishing for salmon and migratory trout otherwise than with rod and line, shall be
the period between the hour of 6.00 on Saturday morning and the hour of 6.00 on the following Monday
morning.
12.Kind of nets that may be lawfully used for Salmon and Migratory Trout.
The length, size and description of nets, and the manner for using the same (not being with fixed engines) which
may be lawfully used for taking salmon or migratory trout in the Southern Region Fisheries Area shall be as
follows:
Draft or Seine nets:
Such nets shall be armoured nets, consisting of a single sheet or wall of netting not more than 185 metres in
length measured along the head rope when wet, and not more than 7.5 metres in depth and shall be used by
holding one end of the net on the shore or bank, and shooting the net from a boat which shall start from such a
shore or bank and return without delay to the shore or bank from which it started, and then drawing the net to
such a shore or bank.
13. Night netting
The use in any inland water in the Southern Region Fisheries Area of any net for the taking of fish except a
landing net or eel net between the expiration of the first hour after sunset and the commencement of the last hour
before sunrise is hereby prohibited.
14. Numbering of Nets
Each licence for a net shall be distinguished by a number. The label issued by the Agency with each licence and
bearing the number of such licence shall be attached and shall be maintained attached, to the head-rope of the net
for the use of which the licence is granted.
15. Carrying of Unlicensed nets
The carrying in a boat or vessel whilst being used in fishing for salmon or trout any unlicensed net, other than a
landing net, or of any licensed net which does not have attached to the label prescribed in byelaw 14 is hereby
prohibited.
16. Fixed Engines
"The placing and use of Fyke nets and other fixed engines is hereby authorised in the circumstances described
below:"
(a) Fyke nets may be placed and used for the purposes of taking eels subject to the following conditions.
i. The net and leader shall be constructed of a material with a mesh size of not less than 19mm and not greater
than 36mm full stretched mesh, if knotted, and not less than 12mm and not greater than 23mm internal
diameter, if knotless.
ii. The leader length shall not exceed 10 metres and its height shall not be greater than the net aperture.
iii. The net aperture shall not exceed one metre at its widest point
iv.Each net placed and used alone or each string of nets shall be attached to a buoy.
(b)Traps other than fyke nets may be placed and used for taking eels subject to the following conditions.
Either
(a) they consist on an implementation USED ON OR BEFORE the 1st day of March 1988 fixed to the bed of an
inland water such that eels may be separated from the body of water by a system of bars, grids or meshes and
from which the trapped eels are prevented from escaping
or
(b) they consist of other implements subject to the following conditions:
i. there shall be no leader
ii. the dimensions shall not exceed 2.0 x 0.75 x 0.75 metres
iii they shall be constructed of a material with a mesh size of not less than 19mm and not greater than 36mm
full stretched mesh, if knotted, and not less than 12mm and not greater than 23mm internal diameter, if
knotless.
(c) Owners of fish farms and their agents and employees in the normal course of business may use any fixed
engine, within the confines of their fish farms, for taking or facilitating the taking of salmon and trout
(including Rainbow Trout) reared on the premises or freshwater fish or eels.
(d)Officers of the Agency, and other persons with the previous written consent of the Agency, may use any fixed
engine for taking or facilitating the taking of salmon, trout, rainbow trout, freshwater fish or eels for scientific
purposes or for the better management, protection preservation and improvement of any fisheries in the
Agency's area.
In this byelaw unless the context otherwise require:
"Fixed Engine" shall have the same meaning as in the Salmon and Freshwaters Fisheries Act 1975. "Freshwater
Fish" shall have the same meaning as in the Salmon and Freshwaters Fisheries Act 1975; "Inland Water" has the
same meaning as in the Water Resources Act 1991.
NOTE: Please refer to the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975 Section 25 for licencing requirements.
NATIONAL FISHERIES BYELAWS
PHASE 1
4. Use of a Gaff
Confirmed 14th March 1997
Date of implementation 1st April 1997
The use of a gaff is prohibited at all times when fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or freshwater eels.
5. Keepnets, keepsacks and landing nets
Confirmed 14 March 1997
Date of implementation 1 April 1998
(1). A person shall be guilty of an offence if, after 1 April 1998, he uses: -
(a) A landing net with any knotted meshes or meshes of metallic material or
(b) A keepnet;
(i) With any knotted meshes or meshes of metallic material; or
(ii) Having any holes in the mesh larger than 25mm internal circumference; or
(iii) Of less than 2.0 metres in length; or
(iv) With supporting rings or frames greater than 40cm apart (excluding the distance from the top frame to the
first supporting ring or frame) or less than 120cm in circumference.
(c) A keepsack;
(i) Not constructed of a soft, dark coloured, non-abrasive, water permeable fabric; or
(ii) Having dimensions of less than 120cm by 90cm if rectangular; or
(iii) 150cm by 30cm by 40cm if used with a frame or designed with the intention that a frame be used.
(2) Any person shall be guilty of an offence if, after 1April 1998, he retains more than one fish in a single
keepsack at any time.
(3) This byelaw shall not apply to any keepnet or keepsack used for retaining eels which have been legally taken
by instruments other than rod and line.
(4) This byelaw was made taking account of the requirement for notification to the European Commission under
Council Directive 83/189/EEC.
6. Coarse Fish Close Season
(Amended)
Confirmed 14 March 2000 (England)
Confirmed 2 March 2001 (Wales)
Date of implementation 15 March 2000 (England)
Date of implementation 15 March 2001 (Wales)
The annual coarse fish close season (15 March to 15 June inclusive) applies to the following waters:
(a) All rivers, streams and drains;
(b) In all waters in the Sites of Special Scientific Interest and the Broads;
Note: Eels - There is no close season on those waters where the statutory close season for freshwater fish has been
dispensed with.
7. Rainbow Trout Close Season
There is no annual close season for fishing for rainbow trout by rod and line in all reservoirs, lakes and ponds.
9. Brown Trout Close Season
Confirmed 14 March 1997
Date of implementation 1 April 1997
All waters are subject to an annual brown trout close season, although dates vary according to local byelaws.
8. Use of rods
Rod limits
TYPES OF FISH RIVERS, STREAMS, DRAINS
& CANALS.
RESERVOIRS, LAKES &
PONDS
Salmon
Sea Trout (Migratory trout)
1 ROD 2 RODS*
Trout (Non-migratory)
Char
1 ROD 2 RODS*
Coarse Fish & Eels 4 RODS*
* 2 licences required
When fishing with more than one rod and line at the same time, the aggregate number must not exceed a total of
four.
When fishing with multiple rods and lines, rods must be placed such that the distance between the butts of the
end rods does not exceed three metres.
Note: The above rod limits are subject to the correct number of rod licences being held.
• A salmon & sea trout licence authorises only one rod per licence when fishing for salmon, sea trout or trout,
or two rods per licence when fishing for coarse fish and eels.
• A trout and coarse licence authorises one rod when fishing for trout or two rods when fishing for coarse fish
and eels.

Reactions: Ed

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
NATIONAL BYELAWS PHASE 2
3. Use of Crayfish as Bait
Confirmed 26th May 2001
Date of implementation 27th May 2001
Any person who in fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels, uses as bait crayfish of any species whether
alive or dead, or parts thereof, shall be guilty of an offence.
4. Otter Guards
Confirmed 26th May 2001
Date of implementation 25th June 2001
(i) Failure to fit an otter guard to all eel fyke nets and eel traps where the entrance to the net or trap
is greater than 95 millimetres internal diameter shall be an offence.
(ii) The otter guard shall consist of either :-
(a)tightly stretched flexible netting with a mesh size measured when wet of not more than 75 mm knot to knot or
300mm round the perimeter; or
(b)a rigid square grid with bars separated by not more than 85mm; or
(c)a rigid ring with internal diameter of not more than 95mm; and shall be fitted to the funnel leading to the first
chamber of the net or trap.
(iii)The requirement for otter guards shall extend to the 6 mile limit in coastal waters.
7. Return of Foul Hooked Fish
Confirmed 26th May 2001
It shall be an offence to fail to return immediately all salmon, migratory trout or trout, hooked other than in the
mouth or throat, to any river, stream, drain or canal.
8. Use of Live Fish for Bait
Confirmed 26th May 2001
Any person who takes fish for use as live bait shall be guilty of an offence unless the fish are retained at and used
only in the water from which they were taken.
This byelaw shall not apply to any fish introduced as live bait under and in accordance with a consent issued
under Section 30 of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975.
9. Eel Net Catch Returns
Confirmed 26th May 2001
Any person to whom a licence is issued by the Agency to fish with any instrument other than rod and line for eels
shall, within 30 days of the expiry of the licence (or by 31 July for elvers), make a return on a form provided by
the Agency giving details of the number of days fished, the location and type of water fished, the total weight of
eels and/or elvers caught by that instrument and retained or (as the case may be) a statement that no eels or elvers
have been caught and retained for each month during the licence period or be guilty of an offence.
10.Unattended rods
Confirmed 26th May 2001
Any person who leaves a rod and line with its bait or hook in the water unattended or so that the person shall be
unable at any time to take or exercise sufficient control over said rod and line shall be guilty of an offence.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Thanks for clearing that up maver.

But surely as long as you have land owners permission then the by-laws doesn't really matter? No?

As someone suggested we could have gone handline fishing in Dartmoor over the last weekend at the dartmoor meetup.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Makes no difference at all, the byelaws take precedence over the rules and regs of the landowner, for instance, i could dig a pond or lake in my back yard for my own personal fishing spot, but in order to fish it, i would still need to purchase a rod licence, even though i own the water and indeed the fish in it.

leon-1

andyn said:
As someone suggested we could have gone handline fishing in Dartmoor over the last weekend at the dartmoor meetup.

No you couldn't, if you had got caught handlining on the National Park they would of hung you up by your thumbs.

Dartmoor has loads of byelaws as well and fishing the Dart or the Bovey (which both have trout) at this time of year when the season is over would be frowned upon in a very large way.

If you are in Devon and you want to handline go to the coast as you are never really that far away and handlining on the coast is legal.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
This may help, although as Maver has stated a licence does not give you the right to fish, you still have to have pomission from the land owner and in some places the river owner and you must act within the law and bylaws, it is your responsabilety to know what you may and may not do.

If you’re over 12 years old and you want to fish for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels in England or Wales, you must have a valid licence. You can get an Environment Agency Rod Fishing Licence from your local Post Office™ branch in England or Wales.

Prices for 1 April 2005 to 31 March 2006
Cost (up to 31 March 2006)

Salmon and sea trout:
Full £63.50
Adult concession £31.75
Junior concession £31.75
Eight day £20.00
One day £6.50
Non-migratory trout and coarse:
Full £23.50
Adult concession £11.75
Junior concession £5.00
Eight day £8.25
One day £3.00
Upgrade from non-migratory trout to salmon:
Full £40.00
Adult concession £20.00
Junior concession £26.75

Full and concessionary licences are valid from the 1 April to 31 March in the following year. An eight day licence is valid for 192 consecutive hours. A one day licence is valid for 24 consecutive hours.

Concessionary licences
You are eligible for a junior concession if you are aged between 12 and 16 years. You are eligible for an adult concession if you are aged 65 years or over, or if you hold a disabled blue badge.

Proof of eligibility
If you are aged 65 years or over, you will need to show one of the following when applying for a concessionary licence:

Birth certificate
Retirement pension book or card (male applicants only)
Valid passport
Medical card
New style photocard driving licence.
If you are eligible disabled, you will need to show the following when applying for a concessionary licence:

Your blue badge

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE