Are people making enough crafts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Sorry Mazeman, are you carving a Kuksa or a Sat Nav?:) Coul'nt resist! I know what you mean though, i'm giving it a bash myself. Using a piece of Sycamore we cut at the Moot. Heard conflicting advice though, about wether to leave it to dry out first or carve it green. A bit late now i suppose.:eek:

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
How's this?...

I've stuffed 2 spare socks with lavender flower heads that I've cut back in the garden and placed one in each of my lads pillow cases to help aid quality sleep (not that they really need it, they can sleep for England if we let them) and to freshen their rooms a bit.

I've also got some elderberry wine on the go.

Not really macho crafts I know but all I can do with a bust hand :rolleyes: :p

I am surprised someone said that about your spoon Tadpole I usually try and encourage folk in what there doing , although I dont have much time for the forums sadly ,
I also make things but rarely post them , i find taking pictures uploading them then posting very time consuming , I will try and post more in the future

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
This is a question of definition. To me, making crafts while being out (which I'm not right now :confused: ) is surely 'bushcraft' (start to dislike the term), but going out to your shed making pouches, knifes and whatnot, that I have a hard time seeing as bushcraft. That would be just crafts to me. You can't take out the bush in bushcraft, but you can take out the craft out of the bush :D

I hardly bring back anything I've made and used. A halfdecent cordage is of little use in my ordinary life, the same goes for a lean-to, a frying spatula and longer fishing rigs. I'll gladly pay for items which may be of use to me, instead of investing a full work week to get the same result, and which I'm bound to be less then pleased with. (Actually, I made a decent canvas bedroll, but that isn't bushcraft, that's sewing. And I certainly like doing some crafts, working in the forge, knitting, and other stuff)

Big swede, I totally agree with you.
I don't do masses of crafts as such, although I suppose I do build alot of things that are out of natural materials and very effective, but not pretty. I don't have the skill or the time to make some things, and for sometimes a very little money, you can get something made by the masters. I don't really carve spoons etc at home, the closest to that I do would be making the occasional bow.

Earthpeace

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2006
France
Yes its like me, I don't post all the crafts i do, tallow candle making, writing quills, cow horn/deer horn buttons/toggles, tanning furs, taxidermy, spinning, dying, weaving, etc.......etc.... have a look on my site. www.ecoferme.com
when your busy doing crafty things, there no time , unless you're really proud of it then you take the time to post it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE