Are all firesteels created equal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
I've just bought a new firesteel from the "Light My Fire" company and it's most definately not lighting any fires.

I've tried to use it with a frosts mora and 1 or 2 little sparks resulted but nothing spectacular. It won't do a thing with my BR Northstar - despite the (supposedly purpose made) serrations at the top of spine. Nothing. Nada. Nowt.

My previous firesteel - origin unknown - worked every time, I wish I hadn't lost it.

Does anybody know if these rods are all made at the same source or do different suppliers make their own?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This may sound a bit cheeky, but have you gotten through the protective layer of the new firesteel yet?

Cheers,
Toddy

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
No they are not all equal. I have quite a few and there is a real noticeable difference, however, they will all light a fire. The "good" ones will do it easier though.

The frost knife is not known for its great performance with a firesteel but if it has worked well with your previous one it should not be the problem.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Try it with something like a piece of old hacksaw blade which produces spectacular results.....if it still doesn't work :confused:

leon-1

Well on a similair note to Falcon, if you have a Leatherman Wave use the back edge/spine of the wood saw, that normally casts a good shower as will the spine of the Opinel saws, piece of hacksaw blade and most of the Falkniven range of knives.

Light My Fire firesteels are normally reasonably good. I have never had a trouble with one before, Fireball Firesteels are pretty good as well, but being an amalgam of elememts it is possible that they do have a bad batch every now and again. If it fails to cast a decent shower of sparks it may be worth getting in touch with Light My Fire and telling them.

Reactions: Voivode

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
leon-1 said:
Well on a similair note to Falcon, if you have a Leatherman Wave use the back edge/spine of the wood saw, that normally casts a good shower...

Holy crap. I hadn't tried that bit, and does it ever! I have a Primus firesteel and it easily throws a spark that persists from standing height to the ground with the back of my Wave. Thanks for the tip!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Not all firesteels are equal. I have one from Light my fire and one from that man Mears. The latter always produces a really good shower of sparks; the other remains pretty feeble, no matter what I use it with.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'm not sure it is - certainly doesn't come with all the 'Light My Fire' logos on it. My first one from them had a green plastic top to it and seemed to be greyer than the LMF ones.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think you will find the RM ones are Fireflash rather than LMF. I like Freballs cos I can handle them myself and get em for about £4 ;)

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
If it's the same one I have, it's got a shiny striker tied to it ?

I have used my workshop bandsaw to add hacksaw style serrations 'teeth' to it. Doing that has made a big diference.

Like the wheel on a fag lighter, it has wee serrations for the flint.

Nick

I picked up a Magic Striker from a shop in Canada here, and I am really disappointed with it. I have used a fire steel from Primus which worked well. I think the Magic Striker is just either low quality or simply a magnesium rod, with a very limited amount of ferrocerrium etc... in it. Can anyone else tell me if they've used a Magic Striker and been disappointed? I can hardly raise a spark from it, using a carbon steel Mora - and yes, the black protective paint coating has been removed.
Shall I take it that everyone's recommendation is either Light My Fire or Primus?
Mungo

Further to my last post, I was recommended a firesteel from a company called Exploration Products here ... anyone used this before?

4%20flint%2006%20bw.jpg

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
My 'Light my fire' firesteel works great off the back of any of my knives (though they are carbon steel) and realy well off the little striker thing that its attached to (though i can never explain why the striker only works one side up :confused: )?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
there was some discussion about this on BB a while back. It seems that the alloys used vary and the harder alloys tend to produce fewer sparks but they often last longer and burn hotter. If you have got a hard firesteel (such as those sold by Cam at firesteels.com) then you need a harder and possibly sharper edge than for th Swedish firesteels that say outdoorcode sell. I have both and once you get used to this fact, they both light fine.

Mind you, I tend to use a proper flint and steel more than the sticks myself :rolleyes:

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
addyb said:
I have a Primus, and I've never had any problems with it.

Ditto that. I haven't been able to get super-awesome sparks with the back of my mora, but it's otherwise good. The flint on the back side of the Coleman magnesium block isn't all that bad either.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE