arctic windproof

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi everyone,
I have a really old arctic windproof and im going to try to use it as a pattern to make a new one with some additions for me. I beleve its made of Gaberdene?
is this correct? if so anyone know where i can find some, not in DPM but OG or a sandy tan colour any ideas would be greatly appreciated

cheers guys

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
lou1661 said:
Hi everyone,
I have a really old arctic windproof and im going to try to use it as a pattern to make a new one with some additions for me. I beleve its made of Gaberdene?
is this correct? if so anyone know where i can find some, not in DPM but OG or a sandy tan colour any ideas would be greatly appreciated

cheers guys

Lou points north probably have the material you want - or you can order one already made from SASS - i have one of these and it is a excellent garment well made and worth every penny.

P

PeterC

Anybody tried dying one of these, other than black. It would be nice to be able to get other colours.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yeah, a second vote for Points North, these are also still available in army surplus stores at about £20,
There is another thread on here somewhere about them, with details of an online surplus retailer. Caused a flury of BCUK folks buying them last time ;)
They can be dyed, I believe Jamie had a go last time ? Even the rubber buttons take on a bit of colour.
If i as going to the trouble of making one, I'd use Ventile rather than Gabardine, as its supposed to be much more waterproof.

Cheers
Rich

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Lou,
I have made an artctic smock in olive ventile, using an old one as a pattern. I have modified the pockets and hood to my own needs and also finished it off with big wooden buttons. It was a very worthwhile project and I have a great piece of kit that cost me just over £50.
Neil

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
i was going to use gaberdene as a cost saver but ventile looks good, the old one is now un picked and its begining to look a bit daunting as a first project :eek: :eek:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Roving Rich said:
Yeah, a second vote for Points North, these are also still available in army surplus stores at about £20,
There is another thread on here somewhere about them, with details of an online surplus retailer. Caused a flury of BCUK folks buying them last time ;)
They can be dyed, I believe Jamie had a go last time ? Even the rubber buttons take on a bit of colour.
If i as going to the trouble of making one, I'd use Ventile rather than Gabardine, as its supposed to be much more waterproof.

Cheers
Rich

Shall we start the great, cotton - poly/cotton - ventile debate again!! lol!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE