Archery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
All,

My wife (an ASL) within lincolnshire is interested in teaching archery at district events, she has a tallent for it but as yet has had no formal training.

What is the correct way for her to go about this, is there arecognised course for this?

any help would be good as we can not seem to get any out of district

Regards

Pignut (ESL)

D

dataphage

Contact the Grand National Archery Society. They are the largest official archery body in the UK, setting handicaps etc and I'm sure they will be able topoint you in the right direction.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
An exerpt from POR;
Rule 9.36 Archery
a. The person in charge of archery should
have reached the standards of the
Community Sports Leaders' Award of the
Grand National Archery Society and should
instruct archery according to the standards
of the Grand National Archery Society.
b. Shooting at targets representing human
beings or animals is not permitted as a part
of any Scout activity, nor on property owned
or leased by, or used in the name of, the
Scout Movement.

Another exerpt

The District Commissioner is responsible for approving all activities for Beaver Scouts, Cub Scouts, Scouts and Explorer Scouts. This will usually be by means of an informal system agreed between the District Commissioner and each Group Scout Leader or District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Quote from archery factsheet!
Archery must be instructed to the standards of the
Community Sports Leadership Award of the Grand
National Archery Society. (The instructor does not
need to hold a current GNAS Community Sports
Leader award but must operate the range and the
instruction to the standards of that award.) The
instructor is responsible for ensuring that the
activity happens safely and that the equipment and
range are safe for both the shooters and other
people
http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/facts/pdfs/fs120406.pdf

I am surprised that the instructor doesn't have to hold an award!
But I think ,as with most things, it boils down to the DC giving you permission.
But he has to say that you are capable of operating at the required standard, so proof will be a qualification or proof of course attendance.
May be a county run course operating to the standard of GNAS, but run by scout personell, its cheaper!

Ps I was just checking some POR stuff myself!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i know that the scottish hq was running an archery instructors course recently. i can only assume that the same would hold true for england

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Goose said:
I am surprised that the instructor doesn't have to hold an award!

The archery leaders certificate has a two year validity. The excerpt says the instructor does not have to have a current qualification so, for example I could still instruct even though my certificate was out of date, providing I maintain the GNAS standards.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I've just finished my training ...two w/ends 9-17.30 every day, its a minimum of 25 hours training. You learn everything you need to know and more, its great. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE