Archery Target from Carpet Tiles

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
At the Achray meet a couple of years ago now I got to try my hand at archery. Thanks to Doc for the use of his bow and the instruction on how to use it and not kill myself or anyone else :)

I never really got rid of the itch to get my own bow and I decided to get myself one with some inheritance that came my way.

I chose a SMK around the 50lbs mark because it was traditional style, could be used either handed (in case anyone else wanted a shot) and wasn't particularly big for storage.

The next thing was a target. I looked online and found some nice targets but they were out of my price range so I decided to build my own from carpet tiles. I managed to get a fair sized pile from an office refurb in my building that were going to the skip. I built a base with a backboard from spare bits of wood I had in the garage and piled the carpet tiles onto the base and pushed them back onto the backboard which kept them alligned at the front. I then purchased a couple of ratchet straps from B&Q and strapped the tiles down hard onto the base. This caused curves and a bit of leaning so I built a wooden top to even out the pressure and strapped it down again. Lastly (remembering Doc's advice to aim small miss small) I painted 3 white dots on the front to give me something to focus on.

I hung two dust sheets that I had lying around, one of them doubled up, to give me three layers of protection behind the target. I fired an arrow at half power into it and it balloons out and the arrow drops. None of my misses have made it through the protection. I don't use it when there is anyone in the garden behind - just in case.
IMG_0228a.jpg

It seems hard wearing and is heavy enough to not be knocked over by the kids running around the back garden playing football. I have only used it 3 times so far but it is a great way to while away an hour on a Sunday morning before anyone else gets up.

Here is me using it - my accuracy isn't great - I was aiming at the centre dot each time - I blame the arrows :)

archery.wmv

So thanks to all who let me try their bows at the meet and Doc in particular for giving me the bug.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thats a great idea ;)

I did try lots of flat cardboard boxes taped together but it if you forget to bring it in when it rains :eek:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
If you want a really effective archery target, get a sack (hessian is brilliant) and pack it as hard as you can with plastic shopping bags, tesco or sainsbury who cares. I have a PSE compound which knocks out 75lb and it will stop that.

You can get the old brain box going and make a deer shape with it, put legs on and make a head, cheap 3D model just adds to the fun. (Sorry no pics)

D:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Looks the part.

Yon fourth point(the top one) is going to see some action though. If you're opening a book on how many points will be sticking in what's left of it after a year put me down for five. :)

My quick target tip is plastic-wrapped bales of mulch. A few quid at the garden centre then patch it with gaffa tape. Gets tougher as is goes along and the worst case scenario is having to cut it open and mulch something.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
Looks the part.

Yon fourth point(the top one) is going to see some action though. If you're opening a book on how many points will be sticking in what's left of it after a year put me down for five. :)

My quick target tip is plastic-wrapped bales of mulch. A few quid at the garden centre then patch it with gaffa tape. Gets tougher as is goes along and the worst case scenario is having to cut it open and mulch something.

I think that you mean arrows are points?

They don't actually stick into the target but slide between the tiles and get held fast - as far as I can see there is no damage to the target on each shot. If it does eventuaIly I will just loosen the straps and rotate the tiles ninety degrees. It isn't pretty but it was all free apart from the ratchet straps.

The idea of the sack and bags or plastic bag of mulch are excellent. Certainly more mobile than mine. I had read about this style of target but I wasn't sure it could stand up to real punishment. Now I know different :eek:

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I've made a couple of targets, one is a sack full of old clothes, works ok.

I've made a smaller one, get a plastic bag, stuff it with as many squeezed up placcy bags as you can, then gaffa tape it. Takes about ten minutes, costs the price of your gaffa tape and thats it.

Not as good as the original posters though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE