Archery stuff.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive just joined an archery GB club. Basically because it's a five minute drive away, and I can just go and shoot whenever the mood takes me.

So I went up and showed them I could shoot a bit, and they let me join.
Took my new bow, A bear archery sonoma.
Like a cheaper version of the Grizzly. Its pulling 40lbs at 29", which I felt very comfortable with. Its 60" long.
Carbon fibre limbs, I got the grizzly felt shelf and pad for it.
My arrows were a bit wobbly in flight. [easton x75] The other guys had slimmer arrows I would have normally associated with a compound, but they were shooting aluminium hoyt recurves with weights and sights.
I have a couple of questions for you regular archers.

Is it worth taking a bow like this along to a shop to have it 'tuned' whatever that means?
I was gonna use some dental floss and 'nock' it myself. That ok to do?
Also I was after an opinion on a quiver. Was thinking of THIS one. What do you like and why?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
All of these things can be done oneself, but without seeing you, the bow, and the arrows all together, maybe unwise. Are the arrows matched to you/the bow?
These bows have a limited selection of limbs appropriate or suitable for them; and whilst perfectly adequate, I doubt very much that they are carbon fibre limbs (the standard ones aren't), but I may stand corrected. Such limbs would be more expensive than the bow in total, and would possibly eventually break the wood riser. I don't know of any carbon limbs made for these types of risers?
The tuning for a recurve bow is important, as is the placing/ positioning of the nock point on the serving? So yes, I would go to someone/where reputable and have the bow properly set up...for you..
Quivers....anything you like and are comfortable with, will suffice.
What do you want out of your archery?

Arrow thickness is nothing to do primarily with whether its a compound or not....yes, it will be a function of your bow in that wooden arrows may be thicker, as will be indoor short range arrows or line breakers as they are sometimes known. Slimmer arrows, potentially, offer higher speed and a flatter trajectory for a given range, and are generally used for outdoors/longer ranges.

I have arrows of varying thickness, and specification, but all spined (stiffness) for the bow being used.

You should be able to get a lot of support of a more practical nature from your club?
I hope this helps, it's a beautiful sport.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks for the reply Laurence. Yes! They are carbon fibre limbs, I believe they are made using a similiar sandwich construction to the more expensive grizzly. Interesting about the arrows. I'll get some tips from the club members, just trying to refresh my memory, and last time I was doing NFAS, [years back] I was never satisfied with the quivers I bought.
Still arent, dont know why! :) Never tried a back quiver with the tri thing, so it doesnt move when on your chest. But that kinda rig doesnt seem appropriate somehow for kind of shooting. I'd stand out like a sore thumb. Anyway cheers. I think I'll get it knocked at the local shop then.

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
When you say arrows are wobbly , is that up and down or side to side, if it's up and down this would be the nicking point being too high or low. wobbling side to side would indicate incorrect spine landing left of centre too stiff, right too soft.

Best bet is to get to a proper shop with a range and let them check you out or your club coach.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Right thanks thats interesting. At least to know what to ask now. Side by Side. As its flying through the air, but how would you remedy that?

Erm, no nicking point on it yet, maybe that in itself is the cause then?

There'll be plenty of knowledgable members who I can ask Im sure. Half the time though, its knowing what to ask eh? :)

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Am I right in guessing that you bought this, but not from an archery dealer or shop?
A reputable one would set up and have shown you what is appropriate and basic tuning for you and your selected equipment.
If you want to pm me, I can send you a very good little guide on setting up a recurve bow and basic tuning?

Any club should also run an induction course which would include this, as well.

You're right, in a way, without knowing what to ask, how can you ask?
So ask for an induction, and bow setup and tuning.

If you're close to me, come along to our club and we'll sort it with you! (Suffolk?)

Quivers....?, I went through loads of different types and styles till I found what suits me...I've got three or four in the garage.........

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It is normal for an arrow to flex as it flies through the air. Excessive flex would indicate an arrow that is either too long or has too weak a spine for your weight of bow. That's something a decent shop would be able to advise you on.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Tune a recurve? String it and shoot it. Check the fistmele every so often. Experiment for yourself with twisting the string etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE