Archaeologist required

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Only if you tell us more about where they were found. :)

White marble (presuming found in UK) and the arch carvings,would suggest Roman origins to me. Could be wrong though, thats just initial impression.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I dont know where they came from. Possibly North Africa. Friend of my parents set up a Safari company in Africa about 55 years ago.....

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd need a lot more information tbh, worked stone isn't my thing, but they look like pieces of funeral ornamentation to me.
Grave decoration, tomb mounts, ecclesiastical debris.

You might ask Dave Budd ? Robby might know too, or any of the others.

atb,
M

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Id be inclined to say they are pieces of decorative roofing - the bit that runs around the rim of the roof of a bathhouse or some other prominent building. :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
sorry, buildings don't do it for me either. If it is marble and came from North Africa, then it could be Roman or any time in the last 2000 years (not just the Romans used marble you know ;) ). I would go with part of an architrave or frsco but the fragments could be anything to me to be honest.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks for all your opinions.

Id be inclined to say they are pieces of decorative roofing - the bit that runs around the rim of the roof of a bathhouse or some other prominent building
Thats what I thought Mark. Thanks Mary and Dave. I may track down an expert on buildings and continue my investigations. I'll post my results if I do.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Some more info and some better pictures (maybe using indirect lighting to make the detail stand out more) with some Idea of size and scale would be useful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE