Apple trees?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
I had a crack at grafting some apples earlier this year, had about a 90% success rate and now can't move for apple trees on my allotment lol. So I need to shift most of them to make room for more rootstocks, I'll have a proper inventory of what I've got tomorrow but I thought I'd see if there was any interest first.

Rough numbers;
1 x M25 Yarlington Mill 2 year old (cider)
1 x M25 Dabinett 2 year old (cider)
1 x M26 Dabinett 1st year (cider)
1 or 2 x M26 Yarlington Mill 1st year (cider)
3 or 4 M26 Pitmaston Pineapple 1st year (dessert)
1 or 2 M26 Ashmead's Kernel 1st year (dessert)
1 M9 Ashmead's Kernel 1st year (dessert)
2 or 3 M9 Orleans Reinette 1st year (dessert)

M25 is full vigour (big tree), M26 is semi-dwarfing and M9 is dwarf.

These are just rough numbers prices depends on postage but will start at £2 each to cover the cost of the rootstocks (so I can get some more), + whatever postage is.
Post any interest in this thread and I'll get back once I've got definite numbers, will be first come first serve.

Cheers
Matt

p.s. Mods, if you think this is in the wrong place then my apologies, please move it if it is.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Good luck with the sales, I hope to do some grafting this winter. Have you tried propagating your own rootstocks? It looks fairly straight forward; basically take a rootstock that has been growing for a year, cut off at grown level or an inch or two above it and when it produces shoots half cover with sand/soil/sawdust and then cut off the newly rooted rootsocks next winter. There's plenty of tutorials available online.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Well done wattsy for your grafting skills & success rate......................you've just gone up a notch in my estimation.......good luck with passing them on.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Good luck with the sales, I hope to do some grafting this winter. Have you tried propagating your own rootstocks? It looks fairly straight forward; basically take a rootstock that has been growing for a year, cut off at grown level or an inch or two above it and when it produces shoots half cover with sand/soil/sawdust and then cut off the newly rooted rootsocks next winter. There's plenty of tutorials available online.

That's what I'm doing to the ones that didn't take I'm also grafting a scraggy old Cox's Orange Pippin over to Kingston Black for cider

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very interested in the cider trees wattsy - I have the perfect spot for them :) Deserts and cookers I have in abundance, but no cider apples ! Could find space for all of them and save on the postage!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pardon my ignorance but can some one clear up the difference between Cooker, Desert and Cider apples?

Its essentially usage. Deserts are sweet but may not retain shape in cooking (turn to pulp), cookers can be too sharp for eating but make good pies etc. and retain shape when cooked. Ciders are often bitter to taste but great when fermented.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
<chuckles>

It depends! Some are self fertile, others require pollinators. The pollinator must be in flower at the same time as the fruit bearing tree. A good long season crab apple pollinates most apple trees.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Same species but not same variety....a "mallus" will pollinate another "mallus" - but not if it flowers at different times!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE