Apple tree and berries ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Hi folks,

on the weekend I've found an apple tree around our neighbourhood (on a public space :D ) and the apples are most deliucious! Which type is it?

4065119835_e0cc3fe424.jpg

Also, In September there were tons of black and red berries around my parts. Literally millions of berries. What are they?

Black:
3849963842_1258ff8f5d.jpg

Red:
3849964772_469b31fd65.jpg

Sorry for my ignorance :eek:

Cheers

Mike

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Apple ID is a tricky one because there are so many varieties. Those look like some sort of pippin to me though. Is therer any colouration of the flesh? Are they sharp and crispy or soft and sweet?

The berries, in order, are sloes and haws.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Hi Malente, can't help with the apple id I'm afraid. You could try looking at the NFC website http://www.nationalfruitcollection.org.uk/index.php , although you might need a name to start your search (like Cox's Orange Pippin for example). The other two are much easier to id though. 2nd pic is a Sloe bush and the bottom one is Hawthorn & there are plenty of things you could do with both!

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Thanks guys for the info :)

:You_Rock_

I'm amazed, I actually was convinced these berries are poisonous. No one seems to harvest these, I know what I'll be doing next autumn, sloe gin and hawthorn jelly.. or is it hawthorn schnapps? :D

The apple seems to be indeed cox's orange pippin. White flesh that turns brown really quickly once it's cut open, fresh flavour, not at all bitter or pulpy, sweet, in short, the perfect apple.

Now I've got a year to find recipes...

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
If you're looking for inspiration for using the sloes and hawthorn, I have some recipe files you're welcome to browse if you want, it's all stuff I've gathered from the web over the years (I spend quite a lot of time searching them out & collecting them because foraging is my 'thing' and they're useful additions to my books). If you want me to I'll pm them on.

They are rather large files tho, so be warned!

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
No one seems to collect sloes because without gin and sugar most people find them unpalatable. (Personally, I like that mouth-withering astringency!)

Jay

Nov 22, 2009
Berkshire
Just used the sloes we picked at the weekend to make sloe gin ,sloe whiskey and sloe white rum. Just put them in the freezer overnight,if you hve not had a frost
Also added Quince to gin which I have not tried before.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
lol, on the way home from work whilst the sloe's were out i kept popping the odd one to check when they were ready. I did get a right funny look from an old couple walking a dog once but they then suggested the best sloe's were further up the track. i'd been turning off before i hit the motherload and had missed some crackers!
suffice to say sloe gin for next year, then after thats finished i'm thinking some sloe sherry and some chocolate dipped sloes...

didn't get hawthorn this year tho it looks like you found a nice crop, may try them next year, i'm already saving jam jars!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE