Apple axe handle and birch spatula

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
The axe handle is just in rough design phase right now being made from a piece of apple. I am going with a shorter around 10 inches of working handle total length is just about a foot. I tend to choke up on it more anyways when carving and with the light head it will do just fine. This is strictly a carving hatchet. The head is a craftsman to those wondering have not weighed it but guessing just around a little over a pound. Also a birch spatula for my kit

100_4004.jpg

100_4006.jpg

100_4005.jpg

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Thankyou, good looking piece of kit! :)

No worries Mate. Have not used it yet but for a stainless kit though a touch heavy to some feels decently light to me. Besides this will be my main kit when I camp and ride also hike to I don't mind a touch of weight for something I can beat the crap out of LOL

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I don't know mate... If I might suggest you one thing. The first curve from the head shoul be opposite to what it is now. I mean it should go downwards instead of upwards, have a look at GB axe, that curve there at the closest point is downwards and its for a reason. I did an axe a while back and tried different designs and came up with this:

IMG_5143.JPG

and I havent seen the GB hand hachet before, But the belly near the head gives a great grip and that's the ONLY axe I can work with for hours and do not get aches in my palm. Although I have more hatchets, one from Wtterlings too, but this one is the best for carving... Only an advice to rethink your design... ;)

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Thanks Colin

did some test fitting on it today working the neck down for head fitting so far so good. got a lot more work on the main handle but she feels really good well balanced to.

100_4027.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE