Apologies if I'm being a newb :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BunnyMazonas

Sep 13, 2010
Kent
Hello!

Just joined the forum, had a browse of the various areas before posting and hope you don't mind me jumping in so soon after joining! I normally lurk a little longer first, but am quite excited to find this group.

I'm new to foraging/scrumping and the like, but it is something I am interested in and keen to enjoy.

Went out to Folkestone park down by the coast this weekend and found one of the many abandoned cliff paths was strewn heavily with blackberries and rosehips ripe for the picking. Got a lovely haul that I've been working up into candied rosehips and jam.

I also found a snowberry bush and have read various conflicting reports that they are good to eat, okay to eat but bitter, a starvation food only, mildly toxic causing stomach upsets and severely toxic. I guess I'll play it safe nd avoid eating those, then!

The main area of the park comprises of a rough-kept, rambling, wooded area filled with childrens play equipment, and a more pruned, ornamental area with gravel paths and curving grassy sections. The decorative area has recently been planted up with a few fig trees; small in size, but already flush with immature figs tht will ripen next Spring. I'm debating asking around to see if the local council would object to the figs being scrumped, since I expect they'll be left for the birds otherwise.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend any good places to go out walking for a forage near Folkestone, if there are any Kentish folk on here? I don't drive so my options are limited, and my research so far has been very, very unsuccessful!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Can't answer your question, but welcome to BcUK. And don't apologise for asking any question, no one is expected to know everything.

Magicman2

Jul 8, 2010
King's Lynn Norfolk
I am sure that no one would really mind if you took just one or two figs, it's not as if you're going to strip the lot now is it?

Don't forget as you are on the coast the amount of stuff you can come up with at this time of the year should be greater than those further inland!

Rumi

Forager
Hi Bunny

Snowberries are pretty horrible, but they are edible, just inedible.

I too do not drive but use a push bike to get about. A push bike is great as you rarely miss anything.

There are lots of parks near me and I regularly strip the trees of fruit. Most councils don't really care, and in many ways you are doing them a favor.

Good luck and happy hunting

BunnyMazonas

Sep 13, 2010
Kent
Hi guys! Thanks to everyone for the welcome and the advice. I m on the lookout for a cheap bike, so once I get one I'll try exploring about a bit more. I'm currently devouring all the info on local nut and fruit bushes around here so I can go out and get a bit more. Still haven't found any of the cobnuts that are supposed to be so common here, but I live in hope!

Oh! The jam worked out nice; I used the leftover sugar syrup from candying the rosehips and combined with 4 leftover whole rosehips, 3tbsp dried orange peel, the blackberries, a stick of licqourice and a star anise. Strained through a jelly bag and left to set; quite a gloopy jam, but really tasty!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE