Anywhere like this in England?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
and again LOL ! :)

campsite.jpg

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
try looking at Chobham common, small lakes not rivers though but very beautiful. It's common land so stealth is the only way ( Sssshhhhh ! )

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Just find a stream or river in England, Wales or Scotland. In a remote area. And it will look like that.

I recommend Devon or Somerset.

living in somerset, id love to know where youd find anywhere like that, yet alone anywhere remote. the "wet" side of somerset has flood defenses on much of the waterways and/or borders farmland, the other side is hilly with most of the woodland on higher ground precluding things such as rivers

scotland seems most likely, or maybe the lakes. a few commercial lakeside sites in snowdonia.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Bearing in mind that "stealth" camping is not encouraged on this forum, there are very few places in "England" where wild camping like this is actually allowed.

Some of the more remote areas of Dartmoor allow it and by custom some of the higher parts of the Lakes turn a blind eye to it but if you really want to experience this kind of thing legally then you need to try Scotland or Scandinavia I'm afraid.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Try Lynn Gwynant in Snowdonia, not as much woodland but a really beautiful and incredibly clear river and lake.

Go in the dead of winter to avoid the crowds.

If beautiful rivers are your ting you won't be disappointed.

Lynngwynant2.jpg

Llyngwynant5.jpg

Llyngwynant3.jpg

LlynGwynant1.jpg

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It looks more like a lake that photo not a river. The way the waves are on it would indicate a body of water such as lake or larger tarn. Personally I think there are plenty of places as nice as that in their own way but not quite like it. There are too many of the wrong trees right near the edge I think. We don't have many sites like this I think. Perhaps there are some like it in the southeast but I don't really know that part of the UK. My best guess would be check out Scotland. I have had a family holiday as a kid at Caldron (bad spelling) campsite in Glen Trool in Dumfries and Galloway that had trees right up to the lochside but they were coniferous trees. I think it is closed now too as that was many years ago now.

Personally for woodland I think Glen Affric is hard to beat in the UK. Not sure about woods near water there though as I've yet to have the pleasure of a trip there.

Anyway, you won't find a spot like it in UK I think but you will find places as nice in their own way. Woods on lakes / lochs / loughs are to be found. Camping is of course legal IF you get the landowner's permission anywhere in the UK. Finding the contact details of the landowner is not always as easy, then you have to persuade them you won't do any harm. Of course that is still better than stealth camping as it is legal but even if you get permission then practising stealth camping is still a good idea I think. BTW in the Lakes you will mostly be tolerated if you camp out of site of farms and dwellings, above the intake wall and leave it the next morning as you found the site. There is a long tradition of wildcamping being accepted in the Lakes such that it is as good as being legal as you'll get south of the border providing we all leave no trace. No nappies, food or drink cans or bottles left behind. And above all no used toilet paper in or near streams or places which heavy rain could wash into the waterways!! That includes popular areas like Angletarn near Patterdale (hint to outward bound group leaders who go there).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE