Anyone with pure hydration experience?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Hi, I'm looking for a no wait water purifying option like the lifesaver bottles however they are out of my price range. I have seen however the pure hydration bottles which are very similar but at a lower price point and are less bulky than the lifesavers. Has anyone had experience with these? Cheers

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
It's not bad but not in the same league as any of the Lifesaver or Katadyn products.

If you're planning a big trip it's worth spending a bit more, have you seen the Katadyn Hiker? Probably get one for about £45 and they are very good, esp high risk areas.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
It's not bad but not in the same league as any of the Lifesaver or Katadyn products.

If you're planning a big trip it's worth spending a bit more, have you seen the Katadyn Hiker? Probably get one for about £45 and they are very good, esp high risk areas.

Disagree with that completely. They are easily on a par with both and there are no moving parts to break. I have the thirst aid bag and it does what it says on the tin.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As with all things - you need to understand what they are and how they work. The two filter systems work completely differently, one by reverse osmosis, one by electrohesion. They have wildly different filtering capacities (Lifesaver at least 4,000l Pure Hydration only 350l). Lifesaver fails safe, Pure Hydration does not. Lifesaver bottles are pumped, Pure Hydration are not meaning that the water carrier can be far more flexible in size and shape. Lifesaver units cost much more than Pure Hydration - but cost per litre of water is lower for Lifesaver.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Many of these products make claims to be used by the military but can't provide any validation of that.

Katadyn filters and Lifesaver bottles are both used by British armed forces, no other make has yet made the grade.

Some brands have an NSN (stock code numbers) but were not widely issued or used because they failed to make the grade as well.

There is a reason why the Katadyn Hiker is a best seller, it is one of the best and most cost effective (it does require post-filtration treatment for adequate purification).

Many cheaper products simply do not work, I have trialled most of them and most have been rejected for valid reasons.

Very good points there Red.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
you'll get ****** of pumping a fragile, hight maintainance thing that keeps clogging with the katadyn. The sawyer squeeze filter supposed to be good. The only problem with them all is they have no failsafe. The nasa filters will strip out peat colouration from water which is impressive, just don't rely on them by drinking putrid water, but the same goes for the pumps too. lifesaver bottles are osmosis ?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
LifeSaver and Sawyer are the only ones I know of which can actually filter out viruses (at the 0.1nm scale). The rest filter only as far as cysts and cryptosporidium... which admittedly are more common in all water sources, but not the worst things to be concerned about.

I'd rather have diarrhea for a day from cryptosporidium than for a week from norovirus ;)

Let me put it this way: I was drinking from a river littered with dead animals (and one dead Polish man, but that's a long story) using my LifeSaver filter... and I didn't skip a beat ;) I bought mine for £40 each on eBay... brand new in NATO packaging!

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
I'd rather have diarrhea for a day from cryptosporidium than for a week from norovirus ;)

i wouldnt- id have noro virus anytime by preference and ive had both. look up cryptosporidiums lifecycleits horrible! if you are unlucky it can kill you or damage you permanently. both my kids got cryptosporidium and i never saw my gp look so worried. the public health response was impressive too. but i have to say my worst was a dose of campylobacter recently... yes just good old food poisoning from a dodgy chicken wrap! norovirus you just sit it out and keep taking as much fluid as you can keep in.its generally self limiting usuaally over 24-48 hrs

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

i wouldnt- id have noro virus anytime by preference and ive had both. look up cryptosporidiums lifecycleits horrible! if you are unlucky it can kill you or damage you permanently. both my kids got cryptosporidium and i never saw my gp look so worried. the public health response was impressive too. but i have to say my worst was a dose of campylobacter recently... yes just good old food poisoning from a dodgy chicken wrap! norovirus you just sit it out and keep taking as much fluid as you can keep in.its generally self limiting usuaally over 24-48 hrs

Yes, I got them backward (in my defense... it was almost 1AM and I hadn't slept in two days)!

To correct myself: LifeSaver filters down to 0.015 microns while Sawyer and Katadyn only filters to 0.1 microns.
LifeSaver will filter most chemicals (but not elemental particles such as calcium [lime] or some of the smaller-chain molecules... though not even boiling will remove these, and in some rare cases even condensing won't remove them)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I had a look at the lifesaver, cant see how it works. Does it use ceramic or is it breakable like most of the rest ? Suseptable to freezing

There are no ceramic filters in existence which filter below 0.1 microns... want to be absolutely clear on that!

Yes, LifeSaver is susceptible to freezing... though storing it in an insulated bottle pouch (I keep mine in a Maxpedition 12x5 bottle pouch) can help prevent that.

Here's my video showing how to use it, and how to maintain it.
[video=youtube;HPlnQrapSas]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPlnQrapSas[/video]

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I was thinking about this last night, the Nasa filters use torturous path technology with a silver compound, to filter the small stuff, and the silver kills the viruses.

The katadyn only filters the small stuff, and as with pumps of all sort you'll get sick of pumping it. As a filter, I would go for the fiberglass hiker over the ceramic types, even though it doesn't filter as small, its easier to drain, clean and won't break in the cold. It really needs a charcoal filter to strip the chemicals and crap out of the water. When coupled with pretreating with chlorine tablets that is about as close to a failsafe full purification system as I can think of, but without the pomp. Or maybe the lifesaver bottle.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You should not pretreat with chlorine tablets, you should treat filtered water with them. If you pretreat, then micro organisms may be shielded by turbidity. Additionally, the chlorine will be removed by any activated charcoal. This may seem like a good thing, but it means that you you have to wait 30 minutes before filtering, and you shorten the life of your activated charcoal, (and the chlorine is less effective as explained previously)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
So why have i never got so much as a slightly dodgy gut taking water straight out of streams in Lakes, Highlands, Galloway hills in sw scotland and Snowdonia? In the wilder spots of uk just how much of this is needed? I started using drinksafe kit in the last couple of years, cheap and with common sensevin the uk hills works as well as i think is needed. Might not filter it all out but do we need it? Overseas in remote areas or places where these bugs are common or farming/lowland areas where this is needed but dont go there. If i do then perhaps id go for one of the better systems but not if they are really heavy or bulky bottle systems which iirc the lifesaver is.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
So why have i never got so much as a slightly dodgy gut taking water straight out of streams in Lakes, Highlands, Galloway hills in sw scotland and Snowdonia? In the wilder spots of uk just how much of this is needed? I started using drinksafe kit in the last couple of years, cheap and with common sensevin the uk hills works as well as i think is needed. Might not filter it all out but do we need it? Overseas in remote areas or places where these bugs are common or farming/lowland areas where this is needed but dont go there. If i do then perhaps id go for one of the better systems but not if they are really heavy or bulky bottle systems which iirc the lifesaver is.

Is it because you boil it ?. If you drink the water in spain and are not used to the minerals, it'll bugger you up as a point. Peat water has alot of nutrients in that may just bugger you up without bugs or nowt else !

MrTuna44

Jan 20, 2014
UK
Hi,

Sorry to raise a dead thread, but I used to work for Pure Hydration and I can tell you - I wouldn't use them if my life depended on them. Okay, I probably would, if it was my actual life on the line. However, I would go for a reputable brand like Katadyn or if you are feeling rich, Lifesaver.

I agree that there are no moving parts to break and no maintenance required, which are boons, especially when you think that the Lifesaver has a massive manual to detail the cleaning regimen.

However, without wishing to go into detail, I would say that anyone using a Pure Hydration product is risking more than with a comparable product.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Hi,

Sorry to raise a dead thread, but I used to work for Pure Hydration and I can tell you - I wouldn't use them if my life depended on them. Okay, I probably would, if it was my actual life on the line. However, I would go for a reputable brand like Katadyn or if you are feeling rich, Lifesaver.

I agree that there are no moving parts to break and no maintenance required, which are boons, especially when you think that the Lifesaver has a massive manual to detail the cleaning regimen.

However, without wishing to go into detail, I would say that anyone using a Pure Hydration product is risking more than with a comparable product.

I've yet to see this "massive manual" of which you speak. The LifeSaver front-side wash process is described in 6 pictographs.... hardly a bible of work to read through.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE