Anyone used "deer tex"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

illumeo

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Sussex UK
Anyone used a deerhunter deer tex jacket? Are they any good on the water proof, wind proof front?

Thanks

illumeo

I have a deer tex hat with face veil tat I use when stalking or hiding up to watch animals in woodland. :cool:

To be honest I've only used it once in the rain and I would never use it in the rain again as I'd prefer to have water running down the back of my neck rather than a sodden lump of floppy material on my noggin. :(

Not very impressed - but that is only with the hat, the jackets might be really good :lmao:

Be interesting to see what some of the other guys have to say.

Phil.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Long since discarded the tags, but I have a Deer Hunter Ram Jacket - which I think has the Deer-Tex membrane?

Ram jacket is well designed for stalkers - right down to rubber facings to press studs, anti-slip pads on shoulder etc.

Particularly attractive for podgers like me are the ventilation zips under the arms.

Say all this to underline I think a lot of thought went into the jacket.

I have worn it a great deal and not had any significant water penetration through the material, but did get seepage at zips etc. Windproof too - so feel membrane probably works as advertised. However the micro fleece outer doesnt shed water for long and once beading stops it soaks water like a sponge - easily doubling the weight or a fairly heavy jacket in the first place.

Final niggle - the main zip started to tear at the bottom after first year.

Rambling - niggles aside, the Deer-Tex membrane seems to work as well as any of these things.

Hope that helps.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I had a deerhunter fleece jacket with deertex membrane. It was ok but let in water when crawling through/laying on long wet grass for long periods.Have since bought a Sportchief jacket that I've used for 4 years - its fantastic, has never let me down. You get what you pay for.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I've got the Montana jacket with a deertex removable liner. I have used it in some foul weather when fly fishing (when you have a family you have to get out when you have the opportunity, raining or not). I haven't had problems in the wind either.

The comment about the outer absorbing water is a fair one. It makes the jacket more weighty but i haven't got wet yet. Pack size can also be an issue as the Montana is bulky.

I like it, it is my main winter dog walking jacket, the quality has been fine and it is dry and warm in all conditions.

Hope this helps.

Stewey. :D

100 posts ye ha!

illumeo

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Sussex UK
Thanks guys for the feed back, always better to buy some thing with yours eyes open. Now all i need is to find some trousers to go with the jacket, with a 38" inside leg !!!!

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I have a pair of DeerTex trousers that I bought for shooting in. Paid good money for them as "Outdoor Wear" and then discovered that the very first encounter with a tiny bramble left a big right-angled rip in the top layer :(
Having contacted the UK importers twice via e-mail and having had no reply whatsoever I can safely say that that was the last of my money the company will ever see.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE