Anyone used Buck knives??

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
I'm looking for a cheap but sharp locking folder- ideally under £20 in case it gets lost. It will be used for cutting ropes so needs to be shaving sharp out of the box- any suggestions on brands? I've looked at the Buck Revel

http://www.heinnie.com/Buck-Knives/Folding-Knives/Revel/p-125-968-6421/

And some of the knives by Kershaw- which seem ok, Opinel would have been good but I'm looking for a "grippy" technical style handle.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I use a Buck 110 and have done so for over 35 years. It's a great knife and I've used it as a woods tool, a flightline tool, a hunting tool, a camp knife, and as a general toolbox knife. BUT!!! If you're mainly cutting ropes you really need a serrated blade (whatever brand you choose)

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Buck still seem to be very popular in the US, I've heard good things about their heat treatment. Depending on your intended use it'll probably work for you.

I've got an old Scoutlite and picked up a Walmart 110 last year. Both are sturdy and comfortable in the hand, but I must admit that I haven't used them much.

Claudiasboris

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
How about the opinel outdoor? Good grippy handle, serrated blade and reasonably cheap :)

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Why not a serrated blade? That would be better for cutting rope.

That was my opinion until I carried out a few field tests- It seems like the deeper serrations snag on climbing and safety ropes, when I compared my Mora against a dedicated SOG serrated rope/rescue knife it took two cuts with the SOG and one with the Mora- something to be said for a plain blade I guess.

And Robbi, yes I was looking at the line of Buck knives.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Why not a serrated blade? That would be better for cutting rope.

That was my opinion until I carried out a few field tests- It seems like the deeper serrations snag on climbing and safety ropes, when I compared my Mora against a dedicated SOG serrated rope/rescue knife it took two cuts with the SOG and one with the Mora- something to be said for a plain blade I guess.

And Robbi, yes I was looking at the line of Buck knives.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE