Anyone use the 1700 tinderbox? How do you find it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gjclayton

Forager
Sep 24, 2012
Bedfordshire
These boxes are undeniably good looking but how suited to use as a box for storing tinder are they actually?
While the look the part it appears to me that they aren't waterproof at all and I wonder how rugged they are?

Anyone have experience of carrying and using one?

I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks so much

1700-tinder-box.jpg

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I've got one and it works ok for me. Obviously not waterproof but I don't intend to get it submerged in water. Most people tend to keep them in a belt pouch or little leather bag, both of which Help to keep out the damp.
Good thing about a brass tinder box like this is that you can strike sparks directly into the box (which can be useful in damper condition), get tinder smouldering then use it to catch light to your secondary tinder bundle, or light a candle etc. You can also, while you're at it, add a bit extra dry material into the smouldering tinder in the box. Shut the lid and it will extinguish your smouldering tinder but not before its charred the added material which means next time you come to use the box you have more charred material ready to take a spark. You can only char a little material at a time like this (not like making a tin full of char cloth) but you can do it in the go, making sure you've got enough charred material for next time. Normally used with a proper flint and steel for that traditional feel.

Good fun but still easier to use a ferrocenium rod - they produce a much hotter spark and will light a wider range of tinders directly without the need for a tinder box full of pre-charred material. The cooler spark from a flint and steel works better with charred material, hence the need for the dedicated tinder box.

Last edited:

gjclayton

Forager
Sep 24, 2012
Bedfordshire
Great info thanks!
I was thinking about making a nice belt pouch for it too.
I'll bear all you've said in mind.
Thanks again

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I love mine, and use it all the time. I made a pouch to store the tinderbox, some extra tinder and spare flint.
IMG_20170928_172903.jpg IMG_20170928_172949.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170904_152502.jpg
    IMG_20170904_152502.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 17

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
These boxes are undeniably good looking but how suited to use as a box for storing tinder are they actually?
While the look the part it appears to me that they aren't waterproof at all and I wonder how rugged they are?

Anyone have experience of carrying and using one?

I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks so much

1700-tinder-box.jpg

Nice and useful things on that site, including those boxes!

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have the Hudson bay one and the 1700 tinderboxes.

I actually prefer the 1700 one I have slightly small in size but a bit deeper and the lid is nicely hinged. I got my 1700 from Mark and Helen at Shark designs or as they are now Beaver Bushcraft :)

I did have one of their others but did get rid of it to keep my favourite two. I like the traditional way it feels and like using it it holds a lot of my more traditional ways of making fire and tinders and the such. I keep my 1700 in a leather pouch but the Hudson loose in one of my bags normally when it is getting used, I am going to make a tobacco folded style leather pouch to hold extra tinders that I pick up and need to dry out better and keep dry, similar to Crosslandkelly's and Monikieman's.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE