anyone tried fox?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 26, 2013
London
Has anyone ever tried eating fox before? I have! Now before you send me to the crazy asylum here me out. I pick up roadkill if it is in one piece and has been dead less then one hour then I skin it and throw away the meat. But yesterday I looked at the fox and thought I wonder how it would taste. I cut it up into joits and roasted it in the oven for 2 hours. It tasted great and im still alive so It can't be that bad. If any of you get the chance to cook one pm me for the recipe :) thanks

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
"The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable" Oscar Wilde, I believe.

Having said that, yes, I've eaten fox, and quite pleasant it was too, as was badger ham, but that's another story altogether...

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Was it vixen or dog?

just wondering, because I have heard that the scent glands on the males can taint the meat. I would eat fox, last time I went past a sound looking young one my mother was driving and she dosnt approve of my alternative eating habits.

[this thread might be better in lovely grub]

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Had to boil up fox jaws to extract teeth for cementum aging. The smell was disgusting and the fatty scum was yellowy grey.

I'd have to be pretty hungry before I ate it!

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I found dog palatable so I guess fox might be ok.

Not sure about the eating of carrion-eaters with a potentially high parasitic load. It's not necessarily the day after (or the day after that) which you need to worry about.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
I havent eaten fox personally but a mate of mine has and says it tastes like wet dog. I would definitely consider eating fox, but if it tastes that bad I would probably try to hide the taste with curry or some other strong tasting sauce

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Was it vixen or dog?

just wondering, because I have heard that the scent glands on the males can taint the meat. I would eat fox, last time I went past a sound looking young one my mother was driving and she dosnt approve of my alternative eating habits.

[this thread might be better in lovely grub]

She certainly believes in alternative drinking ;)

We have some friends who live off grid and had a fox problem so they shot it and braised it after soaking it in a brine solution overnight, they reckon it tasted like beef.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I havent eaten fox personally but a mate of mine has and says it tastes like wet dog. I would definitely consider eating fox, but if it tastes that bad I would probably try to hide the taste with curry or some other strong tasting sauce

I think that was me, I had part of the hind quarters and it tasted rank like jono said it was like the taste off the smell of wet dog, I may give it another bash if we come across one.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
The only chap I know who has eaten it is now in his 90's. He ate it in, he thought, about 1936/37ish. He still remembers how bad it was. Knowing how much the diet can influence the taste of a meat, and seeing what a lot of foxes around here are now trying to survive on, well..

No thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE