Anyone seen "Alone in the wilderness" ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Just wondering if anyone had seen Alone in the wilderness, a story of a man called Dick Proenekke (sp?) who moves to Twin Lakes in Alaska to see if he can live alone for a year in the harsh environment up there, he ends up living there until his early 80's! Very detailed footage of him building his log cabin from scratch with basic hand tools and then kitting it out with furniture. Would highly recommend getting hold of it and watching it through a couple of times, gives a whole new meaning to living "off grid"! I'd love to go into more detail but I really recommend watching it instead, give his diaries a read through too, good detailed accounts from a man who is genuinely in touch with his surroundings.

It is available off a few of the torrent sites, I'm currently looking for somewhere that I can get hold of a legit copy from so I'll let you know if I find one :)

Cheers, Lee.

Last edited:

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Sorry, not to be confused with "Alone in the wild" which is a 3 part series following a Scottish bloke in CanadaAlaska and quite depressing viewing watching as he goes near mental with the exhaustion and solitude.

Alone in the WILDERNESS :)

chuckle

Nov 29, 2006
grimsby
Love that dvd also the follow up silence n solitude to see dick in his late seventies and finally hear his voice ,hes my all time hero,theres also a free follow up book on his one mans wilderness book at the bottom of his wiki page :)

chuckle

Nov 29, 2006
grimsby
Thats Christopher McCandless who died of starvation in alaska, Sean Penn made a film about him a couple of years back.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Brilliant dvd, the guy is on the next level when it comes to woodworking. He led a very interesting life and in my eyes lived the dream for the last 35 years of his life. Glad to see it mentioned here, anytime I mention this people think I'm on about the crying scotsman or the film about the lad that dies in his caravan.

My dad sent me the dvd from Canada as he's been on about this guy for the last 10 years. My dvd player isn't multi region but plays it no problems. Definately worth a watch to anyone on the forum that hasn't seen it yet! Nice one Lee!

D

DavidW

Yup, great to watch and im sure most of us would love to go off and do that. :)

There is another Alone in the Wilderness, where a young lad goes on a travel from the southern states to Alaska and finally makes it there and ends up staying in an old wrecked bus.

That movie is titled " Into the Wild" - the same name as the book by Jon Krakauer. Christopher McCandless, a young college grad full of adventure and idealism but lacking in common sense which left him poisoned on wild plants and dying in solitude in an old bus in the wilderness which had been hauled in years earlier by someone to use as a hunting shelter. When he hiked in it was cold and the river level low.

When he felt he had met his goal for being there and was ready to leave the snow melt was on and the river levels swollen and moving fast. Resulting him in staying , running out of food and eventually poisoning himself by eating an oft misidentified wild plant. If before entering the wilderness he had obtained a basic map he would have found there was a cable across the river just a few miles from where he wanted to ford the river which he could have easily crossed even with out the cable car it was installed to carry.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/

In contrast the subject of this thread seams to have had an abundance of common sense to have accomplished what he did.

D

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
Alone in the wilderness is awesome! Total bushcrafter inspiration. If you know anyone thinking about getting into bushcrafting and dont know what to get them for their birthday, this would be the one DVD everyone would want.

That and 'The Hunted' lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE