Anyone Recomend Me A Swiss Army Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Alox Farmer without going into detail about the others available.

Should be all you need imho.

That being i'm able to be out and about each day and not in an urban environment

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I had a black Spartan gifted to me a few years back which I have been satisfied with. However I also managed to get my hands on a Victorinox Soldier 08 a couple of months back, couldn't resist splurging out on it. It is the knife that the Swiss Army uses, as opposed to being a generic Swiss Army knife, and I have found it has a just about all I am looking for with no extra gimmicks to bulk and clag it all up. The serrated edge takes a bit of getting used to, and as it's my first serrated I'm not yet exactly sure how to sharpen serrations (I've only sharpened the straight section up until this point), but as the blade locks I find it feels safer than the usual type. The only thing that isn't really necessary is the saw, but it's not like it's a negative either. A bit steep at 35 notes compared to 15 for the Spartan but I am very chuffed with mine.

http://snallabolaget.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/soldatenmesser08-300x216.jpg

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
Alox Farmer without going into detail about the others available.

Should be all you need imho.

That being i'm able to be out and about each day and not in an urban environment

if I could find one locally I'd have one- great little toolset on this one! something to keep on the keys :)

though I've just bought a Victorinox Skipper for work...

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Can honestly say i've never needed a serrated edge in 20 yrs in my job, or out and about but a very useful cutting edge when needed.

Good for cutting the skin when disembowling though.

Maybe for seatbelts too but can't think of anything else off hand.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I had a simple one as a kid. It had scissors, large and small blades, bottle opener, can opener, corkscrew and that pointy little scraper blade that someone told me was for cleaning pipes. Didn't even have tweezers or toothpick. Nor a tiny flat head screwdriver that screws into the corkscrew but I got one later for it. Then less than a year after I got it, before the new knife excitement had gone, a mate borrowed it at a scout camp to use the scissors and handed it back with the spring sticking out saying he'd fixed it. Turns out he'd seen the bent spring steel that flicks the scissors open again and had spent about 10 minutes straightening it!! He was a good mate so I only gave him a piece of my mind, which despite being brought up never to swear did result in a blue tinge to the air. I have never liked SAK since then. I even tried to replace the spring. A local shop sold all different sizes so I matched one as close as I could get and the damn thing wasn't right.

So I solved the situation the only way I know how... I bought a cyber tool SAK!! The Swiss Chanmp and the cyber tool are about the same size and probably have the same number of tools but I figured I'd use the cyber tool more. Turns out I use it a lot more in the first year of owning it than I used the original SAK in probably 25 plus years of use. Whenever I needed a pair of pliers out it came. Same with flatheas and philips screwdrivers. I just found it more comfortable to use than separate tools. I've just lost it too after an overnighter so I'm a bit ****** off with myself right now. Might have to get something else.

Anyway I still have my first SAK. It was my second ever knife. My first was a birthday present when about 8 or 9 and lived with me in my pocket all summer long after that. I must have sharpened all the twigs in Devon that summer. Then the SAK ws a Xmas pressie at about 11ish. I played with it all Xmas and New Year hols. Certainly more than my toys I got. When I say played I meant opened and closed the different blades not played as I was fairly responsible with knives.

I can recommend the cyber tool as an excellent house SAK. Well day to day use that is but perhaps more workshop and home/office use than in the wilds.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've got a keyring somewhere with a concealed seat belt cutter in it. I should really use it as it could be useful in emergencies. You never know.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have a huntsman- never leave home without it.

Every single thing on that knife gets used a lot- except the multi purpose hook that im still struggling to work out what it's actually for :/ no purposes as of yet.

I believe the hook is for helping to tie string around packages, but I have used it to pull up some types of tent stakes.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I believe the hook is for helping to tie string around packages, but I have used it to pull up some types of tent stakes.
Its original use was for carrying parcels that have been tied with string.
Somewhat redundant 50 years after most folk stopped using string and took up with adhesive tapes.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I know someone who still uses string and brown paper for all her eBay sales. Just because there are new ways doesn't mean the old ones don't work too. Quite possibly more environmentally and resource favourable to use string anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE