Anyone practise fire lighting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
I was wondering if anyone else practises lighting there house fire using bush craft fire lighting techniques?. Or is just me

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Lately I have started every indoor fire with a ferrorod or flint and steel. Good practice and a lot more fun than matches or a lighter.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I was wondering if anyone else practises lighting there house fire using bush craft fire lighting techniques?. Or is just me

I think its quite addictive isnt it?

Ive just brought back some quite old fomes fomentarius, and its been soaking in a rain bucket for a few days. I'll be attempting to remove the rock hard cuticle and see if i can find a decent tremulous layer, to make amadou, if not, it should still take a spark and burn for a long time anyway?
I'll soon find out.

Bits of quartz, quartzite on beaches, get struck on the back of my carbon blade, just to see if i can get a spark.

I think the flint and steel is my favorite method. :)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I practice bowdrill fire lighting in my bathroom but i don't have an indoor fire so once i get flame it goes into the toilet

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Been on the road for a week. Actually took my bowdrill kit with me and found the time to try.
Some char and a little bit of smoke on the 5th try.

Years ago, I did practice with a ferro rod, magnesium block & knife to use birch bark as tinder.
Eventually got good flame in 30 seconds. I have many reasons to spend time back in the mountains where I live.
I keep that block in my pack more for old time's sake.

I'm convinced that it's worthwhile to learn how to do it before you really need to do it.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I light our woodstove at home with feathered sticks and a match. Feathersticks now come so easy, whatever knife or wood I have to hand (within reason)

Dav

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Used the wood stove in the garden today for sitting out in the evening. The feather sticks made from ash log was not effective for the fire steel due to dampness off rain on them. Eventually had to get a cotton wools which ignited by first strike of the fire steel. Heat from the stove fobbed away the midges.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I think it depends what you mean by firelighting. Oh so many decades back now I practised how to light a coal fire and how to keep it going throughout the winter, but that was in a time very different to our own. I used matches because like Mount Everest they were there and readily available. The art was with the kindling and the newspaper :)

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Almost every day using one technique or another, lately due to physical limitation no friction fires (bow and drill, hand drill, plow etc...).

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I do for the chimnea in the garden. All kinds of techniques. As has been said it's a bit of fun and keeps your skills sharp

Try taking a group of scouts into the woods, the first thing they want to do is light a fire, I love it as I sit there for a couple of hours just watching, as they try and out do each other. Most times they will light one,, the look on there face when they do...

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Will be trying out a new Ivy hearth and Hazel drill at the Moot. I regularly use a flint and steel.

[video=youtube;zusV7_VWLIQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zusV7_VWLIQ[/video]

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I used to. Our old apartment had a wood burning fireplace and every time the wife wanted the fire going I grabbed by flint steel and charcloth. It's a good way to keep your hand in. Now our new place has a gas fire that lights with a click...took all the fun out of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE