Anyone near Blackpool?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wolfpup

May 10, 2012
Lancashire
HI guys

I am a newbie - only joined a few days ago (see intros)

I am wondering just how many people on this forum live within say a 20 mile radius of Blackpool? I have been a member of another forum for some time now - and am apparently out on a limb as few members live north of Manchester unless you go into Scotland. I dont mind traveling to meet other members - but it would be nice to find out if there are other like minded people living a little closer to my home base. Especially if they are interested in plants both for eating and medicine - in my 'local' area.

Obviously dont need addresses - just a YES if you are within 20 miles. Just would be nice to talk to someone who does not consider me 'odd' or 'eccentric' because I want to learn about plants and conserve food.

Thanks for looking

WP

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Nothing wrong with eccentric. I'm Lancaster if that's within 20 miles I don't know. I do know what you mean abt ppl thinking you odd at times. At work they think the reason I like to camp out under a tarp in the hills is because of the sheep there!!! Anyway it's their problem as I'm enjoying the hills in the weekends and they're blowing their cash buying hangovers instead!!!
Stick to your interests I say even if that makes you look odd to some.
I'm,not exactly into plants although that is down to impatience to learn. I do have some books on it but yet to go out looking. Easier to learn from others I think. There's some gd areas for samphire further up the coast I believe. Keep meaning to go,look at some spots I've been told abt here by friends.

wolfpup

May 10, 2012
Lancashire
Hi guys - you are about equidistant from me (38 and 39 miles each way) - in opposite directions (me in the middle) but that both makes you closer than most in the other forum - there are some that live in Preston & Manchester - but don't attend meets. Hopefully I will catch up with you guys at a local (ish) meet when one is arranged.

WP

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, Wolfpup

How far are you prepared to travel? We (Greater Manchester Bushcraft Group) are arranging regular meets at Giants Seat, near Bury. You're welcome to come along, just keep an eye on this forum for details of the next one.

Alan

wolfpup

May 10, 2012
Lancashire
Hi, Wolfpup

How far are you prepared to travel? We (Greater Manchester Bushcraft Group) are arranging regular meets at Giants Seat, near Bury. You're welcome to come along, just keep an eye on this forum for details of the next one.

Alan

I joined the Greater Manchester Group yesterday (clicked onto the link anyway) and will check this regularly. Bury is about 49 miles away from me - and not an area I have ever visited - but would certainly come along if anyone in the group is into wild food or medicinal plants and wouldn't mind taking a newbie by the hand.

Thanks
Chrissie

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, Wolfpup

I'm quite happy to pass on what information I can. Many years ago, I led guided walks for a local conservation organisation about wild foods and medicines. The site at Giants Seat is quite good for foraging, and there is an area of ancient woodland not too far away.

Incidentally, there was a good place for Marsh Samphire not far from Blackpool, on the southern edge of Morecambe Bay. I've not been there for a couple of years so I don't know what it's like now. Later in the year, I'll be going up to the bay for some cockles if I can. (Depends on the new byelaws.) Unfortunately, the Lancashire coast is pretty hopeless for coastal foraging. Due to the expanse of sand and mud, there's not much other than shellfish, mainly cockles, though the saltmarshes can provide a reasonable harvest at the right time of year.

Alan

freedom

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2011
liverpool
Hi guys,
I have been looking for the link to the Great Manchester bushcraft group, but cannot find it. I am based in Liverpool and would like to join you guys on the Gaint Seat if you are arranging anything.

Phil

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, Phil

To find GM bushcraft Group, Click Community on the top bar and then Groups in the drop-down menu. We're in there somewhere. Also keep an eye on this part of the forum, as all the meets go on here. I've not got any dates yet, but the next meet should be in the next few weeks.

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE