Anyone Made Your Own Hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 8, 2006
Mississauga, Canada
I was wondering if any of you folks have made your own hammock?
How easy or hard was it, and how much did it end up costing?
Does anyone know of a website or book or periodical that explains how to make one? I find myself short of funds lately and in need of some sleeping arrangements, while out tramping about.
Cheers
Alex

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I've made one.
I bought Pertex, thread and tape from an outdoors supply place and I seem to remember it cost £50. I got the plans from the net, Risk's site I believe and the wife stitched it up on her sewing machine.
I've tried it once in the garden and fell asleep instantly. Very comfy.
I slept for 40 minutes and woke with my head on the ground because I'd slowly pulled the clothes line pole from the ground. The end tied to the apple tree stayed in the air.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Ive made 6 of them, all made from cordura polyester (nylon). I experimented with an asymmetrical shape aswell but didn't find it much nice than a normal one. If you have any questions about how to make one feel free to drop me a message.

Regards,
Henrik

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
If you have a look in the tutorials section on the frontpage - there is a tutorial I put up a couple of years ago, loads have been made from these instructions and loads converted to the joys of hammock camping as a result.
Have a look and give it a go.
Neil

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
I have to admit that I have made several hammocks, if you see my user gallery this is the latest design, of which I’m very happy with. The total cost of materials was about £20. The initial design was that of Niel1, but I have made some major alterations to suit our climate.

ATB
Nigel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE