Anyone made a waster?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I don't mean a feckless teenager.

'Waster' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waster

Fancy having a go at some 'historical fencing' (I've done the foil/epee thing briefly). Looks like having a waster at home is useful, even it if isn't a 'user' for practice.

Picking a suitable wood might be difficult. I guess seasoned ash or sycamore.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
You could always use rebated, blunted, steel weapons of course. Wooden wasters are not really safer and there is the temptation to hit unarmoured bits of your sparring partner hard because "its only wood", an error some LARP people make. Oak is a good material to use for a waster.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Ash would probably be a good choice.
Bokken (the samurai version of wasters) are traditionally made of red or white oak
but shinai , the combat weapon of kendo are split bamboo and are capable of taking an enormous amount of punishment.
There are some decent-looking wooden wasters on EBay too but not sure what they are made of.
Cheers , Simon

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I used to be a member of a historical fencing group and, at least at the time, all the ones you could purchase that we're considered good were made of purpleheart.

I did try modifying a bokken, which were much cheaper, but removing the curve left it far too short.
I have also used the "safe" blunted metal weapons and both will do considerable damage if you score a direct hit on an unarmoured opponent - bruises and welts at the very least.

The only problem with this type of historical fencing is that you can't really practice it at less than full power and speed (unlike other types of combat) as many of the movements require you making contact with your opponents blade in the form of a block or parry and then using the force of the blow to initiate a counter.

Anyway I've gone slowly off topic but hope that helps.

Hamster

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That does help, Hamster. This would really only be for 'at home' and slow practice.
Interestingly, the British association has banned Hanwei swords; too many dangerous breakages.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE