anyone made a lobster pot?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rickety-root

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2006
leicester
I say 'lobster pot', but I'm more interested in catching crayfish. I am canoing on one of the Thames tribuataries where I am led to believe there is an abundance of crayfish so would like to have a go at catching some.

I think I know the general principle behind a trap but have not seen one close up, so before I had a go at doing it myself I thought I'd just ask if anyone had already made their own and if maybe you have any pictures.

Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
I've just made one. I made it from one of those bottles you see on top of those water machines that they have in offices. I just cut the top off and turned it around (like you would do with one of the old fish traps you might have made when you were a kid) then made the hole a bit bigger. Then with a drill i made loads of holes in it around the outside. Then i put a lump of lead on the outside fixed with some plastic ties. Tied a bit off paracord to the front and bobs your uncle. I'll try and get a photo of it but i 've lost my usb cable, as soon as i find it I'll post a picture. Also its not tested yet so it might be rubbish. The rivers a bit high here so i may not get it out this week.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
What a great idea Amott69, I've often looked at the water bottles in work and thought, "What can I do with them?" apart from making huge water rockets of course!
Might see if I can forage one and have a go at the crayfish trap myself, but for me I'll try catching crabs with it, for fishing!

Cheers for the idea, much appreciated.:D

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
I made this trap for minnows but have caught crayfish as well. You can make a quick version my using the tip of a panty hose as the netting and attach it to the mouth of a wide mouth jar. Tony
goshenhoppen016.jpg

rickety-root

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2006
leicester
thanks for your ideas and advice - plenty of food for thought there, hopefully leading to food for my belly! (crayfish tail salad!)

thanks!

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
have you seen that Tararack selling these pop up traps for £10.

Usual caveat: Please note that I am not associated with them in anyway other that I have bought from them before.:D

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
i went out to collect my trap tonight could'nt get any where near it because of the flood water i'm just hoping it's still there. the peg must be about three feet under water.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
have successfully made cray fish trap using ten ml square chicken wire make tube shape about 400mm long and tie off .Make two cone shapes insert into ends of tube and secure dont forget to cut out a side 100mm SQ which is secured so you can release your catch into a cooking pot I found a couple of garlic cloves in the boiling water enhanced the flavour You should be awhere regulations and guide lines set buy the Enviroment agencies regarding trapping Cray fish should adhered to

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
The pot made with the bottle is going to out strip the one made out of the contents of a skip. I think the holes may be a bit on the big side, but i do think it looks nice. I think the hoops are some kind of plastic piping for under floor heating and the mesh is used under tarmac. I used a 1/2 pint maggot box to put some bait in and drilled some big holes in the lid to let a bit of the smell out.
Anyhow I'll see tomorrow as i've just put them out again tonight. Jon r after seeing some of the things i've seen you make I'll look forward to seeing what you make.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE