Anyone know where to find Chaga Tinda Fungus?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
I'm not sure that does prove your point.
Cave-Dweller, like many more would like to experiment with Chaga. However he declined taking the bracket he found, perhaps some ethical thinking there.

I'm not really sure what the point is any more, and I wasn't out to make a point! For me it was a simple practical decision - I could have 'stolen' somebody's fungus, and chose not to (assuming that a growth on a tree on somebody's land belongs to that somebody - I'm not sure).

The bigger issue is different - if we find chagga (or any natural resource) and use it ourselves, but don't like the idea of others doing the same thing in order to sell it, isn't it just a matter of degree? I'm not sure how buying from overseas makes it better, except that it's more plentiful - which isn't the same as 'more sustainable' - some of the stores on alibaba.com have a minimum order quantity of 25kg, which would require an enormous amount of birch to sustain it. For all I know people could be destroying birch trees in huge numbers to reach the little bits they want for tea and tinder.

Really I have no idea if 'overexploitation' of chagga by us bushcrafters will put it on the 'endangered list', but I suspect the argument isn't simply a UK one.

On a personal level I can't abide the idea of any natural resource being overexploited - British or otherwise.

Rant over. Sorry :eek:

I'm not really sure what the point is any more, and I wasn't out to make a point! For me it was a simple practical decision - I could have 'stolen' somebody's fungus, and chose not to (assuming that a growth on a tree on somebody's land belongs to that somebody - I'm not sure).

The bigger issue is different - if we find chagga (or any natural resource) and use it ourselves, but don't like the idea of others doing the same thing in order to sell it, isn't it just a matter of degree? I'm not sure how buying from overseas makes it better, except that it's more plentiful - which isn't the same as 'more sustainable' - some of the stores on alibaba.com have a minimum order quantity of 25kg, which would require an enormous amount of birch to sustain it. For all I know people could be destroying birch trees in huge numbers to reach the little bits they want for tea and tinder.

Really I have no idea if 'overexploitation' of chagga by us bushcrafters will put it on the 'endangered list', but I suspect the argument isn't simply a UK one.

On a personal level I can't abide the idea of any natural resource being overexploited - British or otherwise.

Rant over. Sorry :eek:

I feel that I may be singing from the same hymn sheet as Cave Dweller, and given enough time I would have elaborated to make the same points myself. There are many honourable Bushcrafter out there, like Cave Dweller, who would perhaps like to play with Chaga, but are not willing to damage a tree to do so; on the other hand there are some people out there who want what they want, and don’t care who, or what gets damaged on the way to getting it. By offering to both, and by buying from those that do care, it seems to me that everyone should be happy … except the ones who harvest for themselves and condemn anyone else who would like it! Hypocrisy is another form of corruption, both are dishonest!

How many Bushcrafters out there want to play with Chaga as a fire lighting aid? Not many, I’ll bet, but there are some who do (hence my request for about 4 to 5 kilos per year). So by catering to all, it may give pause to the impulse forager who may feel a sense panicked need to take whatever they might find, just in case they might not be able to find it again. With that point in mind, I would have thought that by the controlled selling of Chaga, you are saving what might have been destroyed?
It seems to me that harvesting anything from locals where it naturally grows, is better than harvesting it from areas where it is so incredibly rare for it to grow … like Wales (someone mentioned that they saw a Conk in Wales –I couldn’t find the person who said this, so I apologies to you). However, making a contact with a conscientious supplier is what I’m about; buying Chaga from abroad may be more sustainable and even cheaper that from a UK supplier, but I cannot be sure that what I would be buying would be conscientiously harvested, I hate to say it, but rape is rape, no matter where it’s done. So burying your head in the ground, and saying that it is OK as long as it isn’t in in my backyard is naivety at its extreme.

Making a full blown debate about it is great fun (to me at least), but each time someone says that something is rare, it creates a bigger demand for it than just letting it be. My experience of Humans is that we, as a species, covert what is rare and despise what is common (e.g. Cordyceps, Ivory, Whales, Big Cat Skins etc, etc, the list is endless).

On the other hand, I’m not selling the stuff as if it were a multi-million pound industry like tobacco or petrol; I can’t see that the demand, within the Bushcraft community, would exceed more that about 4 to 5 kilos per year (after all I sell the stuff in 10 gram lots, which I know will last your average Bushcrafter a long, long time); and it isn’t as if the species was an endangered (if it was I simply would not sell, or for that matter use it). As for it being rare in the UK, there seems to be suggestions that it is not, but I’ll accept alternative opinions on this one, since I don’t live where Chaga grows, so I don’t really know … perhaps those who feel that it is rare in the UK, live where it rare as well?!

Cave-Dweller, like many more would like to experiment with Chaga. However he declined taking the bracket he found, perhaps some ethical thinking there.
If Chaga from here was available on your site, would this not encourage people to buy, perhaps without knowing the conservation issue?
In your OP there was no mention of the source being sustainable, I assume this would be considered before a deal was done.
With the small amount available in Britain, would the more ethical position not be to buy from a sustainable source abroad (as already stated by other)?
That way our natural levels may not be depleted and your conservation ethos remains intact. A win, win situation

I did not say it proved my point, simply that it was my point. :)

In your OP there was no mention of the source being sustainable, I assume this would be considered before a deal was done.

My OP was simply a starting platform, the vetting would naturally come later.:)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
3e386c34-4b07-5004.jpg

Chaga, Burl or something else? Couldn't get a better picture I'm afraid

3e386c34-4b07-5004.jpg

Looks like I'm dreaming, what a great looking piece of Chaga, thanks for the photo ... and in Selby to - in Yorkshire. Was the photo taken in Yorkshire?

Tell me Mountainm is it cold in there, as I’ve not lived in Yorkshire for many a decade and I can’t quite remember? I ask because I was TOLD that Chaga only grew in really COLD place, so it must be a new species, or one that has adapted to warmer climates than the species that grows in the depths of Scotland. Either way it seems to be a very rare example of a beautiful conk of Chaga, so I hope that it will not be harvested, but allowed to spread its parasitical spores to other trees.

Seriously though, it looks like a really nice example of a Chaga conk that is growing in warmer climes, I do hope that it will not be harvested.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
3e386c34-4b07-5004.jpg

If I was forced to guess I'd say it was a burl. It looks to light in colour to be a chaga, but that could be an artefact of the photo. I know the way I spot chaga is colour. from a distance they look jet black, and it does draw the eye.

This photo will give you an good indication of colour and texture.

https://mycotopia.net/forums/attach...92d1273331491-chaga-culturing-picture-069.jpg

More typically you'll find something like this:

http://www.cartinafinland.fi/en/ima.../Chaga+mushroom+-+inonotus+obliquus+45516.jpg

or this:

http://images04.olx.com/ui/1/55/64/10505164_3.jpg

If I was going to harvest any of the three, it would be the third, (smallest), one. It is plenty for my needs. The first one is getting to a size where it will kill the tree, and the middle one is on a dead or dying tree. Chaga only releases its spores when it falls from the dead tree, so I think it's best to leave the more mature ones.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
I wouldn't rule the tiny one out. If it is one it's in an earlier stage of development than I'm familiar with. Sorry I can't be more definitive.

I would say the picture is too noisy for a definitive answer, definitely too noisy to base a sarcastic response on.

OK you are right, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit - except for a pun that is. I just got excited at seeing what could be a Chaga conk and in Yorkshire. Having said this, however, you should take people as you find them, which is why I was limiting myself to just tentative sarcasm. I was trying to keep the jives jovial and not too serious.

I accept your rebuke with a smile. :D

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
OK you are right, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit - except for a pun that is. I just got excited at seeing what could be a Chaga conk and in Yorkshire. Having said this, however, you should take people as you find them, which is why I was limiting myself to just tentative sarcasm. I was trying to keep the jives jovial and not too serious.

I accept your rebuke with a smile. :D

:Dhahahaha I like that!

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
There's one other option for the bushcrafter living where conk doesn't grow: do without. After all, we have to do without tiger skin rugs, panda steaks and rhino horn!
Z

Sent from my fondle-slab via tapatalk.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Funny thing is I never told anyone where either picture was taken, or my "current" location. You know, what they say about assumptions...

Mike M reporting
The chaga plantation
Somewhere very cold and northern

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The lenticles in birch are all too easily an entrance port for fungal infections, especially if they're damaged in some way.
They are actually a kind of gaseous transfer structure.

Birch is a pioneer species; it showers the surrounding areas with millions upon millions of tiny wee seeds, and it's hardy too; I've seen it grow in bogs so wet we struggled to walk through them, and clinging to mountain slopes so precipitous and exposed you'd have thought nothing but lichens could survive.
It's not generally a long lived tree, but then it doesn't need to be; very useful for many purposes however.

A birch woodland is a bonny place though :D

The fungal infections are commonplace enough, but they do seem to be area specific to a large extent.
I know that round here the fomes and piptoporus are really common. I know in other areas the fomes is only present, others where it infest beeches too. The piptoporus betullina (razorstrop) is again commonplace, but it doesn't seem to do as well really wet or exposed. It's sodden wet and really heavy, in some sites and rots away on the tree never mind waiting for it to fall, and it does get infested with those wee tiny white maggots.

The staining on the lower photo is colour I expect when the tree has had a blow and leaked a bit, and something has taken happily to that sweet liquor.

Chaga is black black. Looks burnt tbh. It does grow in cold spots, but this is the UK, cold is relative, so is sodden wet :D
Wouldn't surprise me to find it in Yorkshire. Lovely bit of the world, but it can be bitter icy cold there.

cheers,
Toddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE