Anyone know what to do with these?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
A Hungarian Lady gave me some seeds earlier in the year and they have developed into what look uncannily like courgette/marrow and squash plants, but the fruit look like flying saucers :eek:
I am sure they must be edible, but I'm looking for info and recipes.
Could any of our Eastern European members help?

27062009039.jpg

27062009038.jpg

27062009040.jpg

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
it's a variety of squash... can't remember the name, but I've seen them at the greengrocers. cook like any squash or pumkin, I like them roasted with olive oil, chilli, garlic and lemon juice :)

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I think they're called 'custard marrow' over here. Like most members of the family they don't taste of much, but you can chop them up and add them to stews. You can also cut the top off to make a lid, scoop out the seeds, put mince in and bake in the oven - like a little casserole.

Jim

MrPhil

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2009
East Coast of Kent, UK
It's amazing how pictures stick in your mind more than words, I remembered seeing a picture like yours somewhere and have eventually found where. It was on the Real Seeds website - small company in Wales, UK that sells seeds and try to encourage you to harvest your own seeds - anyways, here is the write up from their website which gives you the name:

'Pattison Blanc' Patty Pan Squash
Patty-pan squash are flattened, saucer-shaped courgettes.

This old French heirloom produces white saucer-shaped fruit, which are cut when young (about 3 inches across) and cooked or fried just like a courgette.

The flavour is a little richer and more substantial than courgettes, with a slight 'nutty' taste.

Very popular each year, they can be quite prolific indeed in a good summer.

Saucer-shaped white courgette!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
If there like other squashes, Roast them in the oven with olive oil, garlic, herbs. Blitz in a blender when cooked and add to chicken/veg stock and make top soup. Add chilli for a winter warmer.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
It's amazing how pictures stick in your mind more than words, I remembered seeing a picture like yours somewhere and have eventually found where. It was on the Real Seeds website - small company in Wales, UK that sells seeds and try to encourage you to harvest your own seeds - anyways, here is the write up from their website which gives you the name:

'Pattison Blanc' Patty Pan Squash
Patty-pan squash are flattened, saucer-shaped courgettes.

This old French heirloom produces white saucer-shaped fruit, which are cut when young (about 3 inches across) and cooked or fried just like a courgette.

The flavour is a little richer and more substantial than courgettes, with a slight 'nutty' taste.

Very popular each year, they can be quite prolific indeed in a good summer.

Saucer-shaped white courgette!

Thanks for that.
Amazing amount of knowledge on here sometimes.
I'll have to get the pan out :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE