Anyone know what this shrub is ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Out in the woods again and came across this blaze of colour, which I cannot identify, does anyone know ?.................Jon
dsc01146large8ax.jpg

dsc01147large0dr.jpg

I suppose it could be an escapee from someones garden, but would like to know.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Because of its oddly coloured and shaped fruits it is called "kardinaalsmuts" ("cardinal's hat"; roman catholic kardinals have similar looking headwear) in Dutch.
I bet there must be some local names for it in the UK too.

Tom

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Euonymus europaeus, I believe it is quite rare, though not protected at the moment. as well as that its seeds are poisonous!

i have only seen 1 or 2 individuals!

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Some more info from here.

"Euonymus europaeus (Celastraceae) has green shoots, vibrant pink autumn leaves, deep pink fruit and contrasting, dangling, vermillion seeds. The dense, easily-worked wood was traditionally used for spindles, toothpicks, violin bows and producing charcoal for gunpowder. In the past, the richly coloured seeds were used to produce a yellow dye for butter; however, they contain a number of toxins, including cardiotoxic glycosides, and have been implicated in serious poisonings :eek: . "

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE