Anyone know what this is?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nalsheen

Forager
Apr 17, 2010
North West England
Mums come home with some berries and is convinced they're sloes.

10599571884_4b7d44cab9.jpg

They don't look like sloes to me, far too small.

Anyone have any idea what they might be?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Too small for sloes? Looks about right to me. Could be sloes. Do they have a large stone in them, like a plum?

If they are not sloes, then try dogwood, or possibly laurel.

Either way, if you don't know 100% what they are there is no way anyone should be eating them.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
They could be sloes but to be honest hard to tell from that pic viewing on my iPhone.

I've struggled to find any decent sized sloes this year (I'm in north Ayrshire) but only been here a year. it could be the locals are keeping the locations of good pickings secret.

Orric

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
ok, ok, it was a light hearted comment, could have been taken seriously i 'spose so........

DO NOT BITE THAT UNTILL YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS !!

do they look like small plums ?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
ok, ok, it was a light hearted comment, could have been taken seriously i 'spose so........

DO NOT BITE THAT UNTILL YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS !!

do they look like small plums ?

Sorry, didn't mean to make my comment sound like a criticism of yours.

Besides, I like the taste of sloes, and will eat them straight off the bush. I'm weird like that. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, let's be rational about it, shall we ?

I too think that they look right sized for sloes, but....

Is there anything else at this season that is of that size ? and colour ? and shape ?

The only black berries around that I know of are,

Black rosehips, and those are bigger and round.
Damsons, which to be honest are well past here, are a bit bigger and are inclined to be purpley black.
Tutsan, which are smaller, and tbh, I've never seen it growing here. Though Culpepper knew of it, so maybe :dunno:
Bilberries, which if they are that size will be soft and kind of squishy. Definite belly button end where the flower was.
Elderberries, which are much smaller and mostly all gone to birdfood now or shrivelled like currants.
Ivy berries, which are rounder and aren't in black fruit yet.
Black nightshade, again, rounder, smaller, and it grows in clusters.
Deadly nightshade is about a cm in diameter, doesn't have the single stone of the sloe and it comes in a leafy cup.
Laurel...cherry or bay. Grow from racemes like wild cherries; small with almost pointed ends.

I don't know of any others.

I reckon they're sloes.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Blackthorn will have thorns on the tree.
Out Laurels have rather large cherries on them this year similar size to the local slows too

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
They could be sloes but to be honest hard to tell from that pic viewing on my iPhone.

I've struggled to find any decent sized sloes this year (I'm in north Ayrshire) but only been here a year. it could be the locals are keeping the locations of good pickings secret.

Orric

We have a load of bushes up the lane behind our house but each tree only had about a dozen fruit on it. Really poor harvest. Everything else was straining under the weight of the fruit. :dunno:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE