Anyone know what maker this is ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spot on. Staffordshire based firm formed in 1915. Part of "Spear" as in "Spear & Jackson". Eventually swallowed Brades, Elwell & many other historic tool companies.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Spot on. Staffordshire based firm formed in 1915. Part of "Spear" as in "Spear & Jackson". Eventually swallowed Brades, Elwell & many other historic tool companies.

Forgive me, I'm not disagreeing with you just trying to clarify my own knowledge (especially as you have given me guidance in the past), but I thought Spearwell was the combination of Brades etc. and Elwell etc. in 1967; I didn't think a company called Spearwell existed before that.

Spear & Jackson Family Tree.jpg

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Forgive me, I'm not disagreeing with you just trying to clarify my own knowledge (especially as you have given me guidance in the past), but I thought Spearwell was the combination of Brades etc. and Elwell etc. in 1967; I didn't think a company called Spearwell existed before that.

View attachment 65530
I believe it existed before this point but the name was used again. There's documents at the MERL that would confirm (we follow each other on Twitter so I could ask them to take a look). This reference in the National Archive might help

Reactions: Broch

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Trouble is a lot of these things are not always clear-cut. Firms grow by acquisition and names go dormant but the ltd. company name is still owned & may be used (I worked for a large firm at one point who owned hundreds of companies - the majority dormant). Brand names and trade marks are worse!

I am far from certain on the exact timing of the Spearwell exact dates - and certainly the two records indicate different things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE