anyone know the name of those talcum powder blowers for detecting wind direction?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

willpower

Oct 4, 2010
Dorset
er, the questions in the title, saw mr Mears using one once, have they got a name or do people just make them? Cheers!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I use a fullers earth bottle from a decontamination kit, you might find them on line or in a surplus shop, I think Nalgene do the bottle that mearsy uses though

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Whisper dust.
But it’s just a plastic bottle o chalk or talcam powder so as the boys have said just make your own or you can buy one like me and wish you had made your own.

Last edited:

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
Does no-one just throw a leaf in the air or light a roll up or wet your finger ?? Or even just feel it ?? Am I missing something ??

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Does no-one just throw a leaf in the air or light a roll up or wet your finger ?? Or even just feel it ?? Am I missing something ??

It's not that easy to judge wind directions unless it's brisk. It has to be quite windy to blow leaves or grass. Wetting your finger doesn't tell you the exact direction or work when there isn't an obvious wind. When you're tracking wildlife scent direction is really important and you might not even feel a breeze. Fine talc lets you check it accurately without alerting your quarry. So it's really useful stuff.

willpower

Oct 4, 2010
Dorset
Thanks guys had a look at the one on Bushwear, does seem a tad pricey for what it is so will have look round see if I can acquire small squeezy type bottle first. As pointed out I'm not being a yuppee bushcrafter, deep in the woods it's very difficult to detect which way a faint breeze may be coming from. Cheers all!

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
3 Rivers Archery.
Whisper Dust
Wind detector
Shooting Glove Powder
$4.00

Probably worth it considering the bottle is well made and refillable.
I’ll try the synthetic chalk in my climbing bag sometime very light and easily powdered and all that.

Last edited:

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
3 Rivers Archery.
Whisper Dust
Wind detector
Shooting Glove Powder
$4.00

Probably worth it considering the bottle is well made and refillable.
I’ll try the synthetic chalk in my climbing bag sometime very light and easily powdered and all that.
Don't worry aboyt chalk, just scoop up some fine wood ash the next time that you have a fire!

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
there must be loads of stuff out there you could use, a hand full of bog cotton from your tinder box some flour out your bag a pocket full of dandelion heads, reed mace the lint oot yer belly button.

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
there must be loads of stuff out there you could use, a hand full of bog cotton from your tinder box some flour out your bag a pocket full of dandelion heads, reed mace the lint oot yer belly button.

+1 All my gear i have, must have 2 functions to use.
Otherwise it's not an item i carry around in my bag.

Greetings Theo.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Just tie a cotton thread to your sleeve or stick.

Telltalesmall.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE