Anyone know how to prepare and cook these?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are lovely sprouted in a slad. We often use them that way - and I believe the sprouting increases the nutritional value

Not sure if thats the answer you wanted?

Red

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
first heard of aduki beans through the dreaded gillian mckieth who reckons you should soak for up to 12 hours or overnight in cold water. mung beans she suggests soaking until 'well swollen' or overnight or add straight to soups/stews etc. I think the more you soak them, the more digestible they become. Just in case, found a couple of her recipes....:)

Mung bean sprout salad
Ingredients
Serves 4

half a cucumber, peeled and cut into julienne (matchstick) strips
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
1 baby gem lettuce, leaves separated
100g canned sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
250g mung bean sprouts
dressing

1 tsp tamari sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp orange rind
1 tsp grated fresh ginger root
2 tbsp freshly pressed apple juice
Method

Place the dressing ingredients in a small jug and whisk well to combine. Arrange the remaining ingredients in a large salad bowl, add the dressing, toss the salad and serve immediately.

Aduki Bean stew
200g aduki beans 1 wheat free vegetable stock cube 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped 2 carrots, trimmed, peeled and thickly sliced 1 leek, washed, trimmed and finely sliced half a butternut squash, peeled, halved, deseeded and cut into chunky pieces half teaspoon ground cumin half teaspooon turmeric powder 250g curly kale 4 tbsp chopped fresh chervil

Method

1. Presoak the beans for 12 hours or overnight in cold water. Drain the beans and rinse well. Place in a saucepan of water and bring to the boil. Boil hard for 15 minutes to remove toxins. Drain and rinse well.

2. Return the beans to the pan with a litre of fresh cold water. Add the stock cube and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the vegetables, cumin and turmeric and simmer for a further 10-15 minutes.

3. Add the kale and cook for a few minutes until just tender. Sprinkle with chervil and serve with Millet Mash and Onion Gravy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aduki's I soak, rinse and cook.
Mung beans I sprout :D Just put a small handful in a jam jar with a bit of cloth over the top held on with an elastic band. You can use a bit of mesh or cheesecloth, a clean sink cloth, bit of old dishcloot, whatever's handy. Fill with hand hot water and swirl, leave for half an hour or so the first soak then lay it at an angle to drain.......I just prop it against the dish drainer so the water goes down the sink. Flush out with fresh water at least half a dozen times a day............I just do it as I mind when I pass the sink or fill the kettle. Within a couple of days they'll be popping open and growing nicely. Don't swirl too vigorously once they start sprouting or you'll break bits off. The seed cases usually float to the surface so it's worth while taking off the cloth occasionally and draining carefully. You can start to munch them whenever you like :D

I bought one of those posh sprouting jars but to be perfectly honest the jam jar, cloth and elastic band is just as easy and it costs nothing to make :approve:

Lots of seeds sprout well like this; cress, alfalfa, big peas...... don't do kidney beans though, they need to be boiled to remove toxins in the skins.

Thanks for the recipes folks :D

cheers,
Toddy

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I always soak aduki beans overnight - longer, really, since I tend not to cook them until about 6.00 the following evening. Delicious and nutritious.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE