Anyone know anything about Temu.com?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Hi, I was wondering if some products are subscription purchases, unsure of correct term, where it isn’t one off sale?
As in you are either signing up for multiple regular payments a bit like “old hire purchase” or signed up to buy said item repeatedly.
I believe these are getting more common on in online market places. Firms are trying to get users to subscribe to content or products rather than a single purchase. Not always apparent on the initial advert and existing sellers are trying to shift to this model.

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
I htink i get you not being a hire purchase person not sure , but i can tell you all the stuff we have purchased it is you put in the basket you pay at the end , i know you can use many ways to pay and yes i use paypal and it offers the spread the payments option but that is with paypal not the TEMU site , if your just putting stuff in get to the end and pay as far as we know it is you pay and that is it , good luck as i have said wife loves it and cheap is not always rubbish and i guess i should be more open minded on sites but when something is 90% off i am wary but this time the wife proved me wrong .

Reactions: Ozmundo

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
OK folks justa little more on Temu , i have been ordering a fair few of their cheap knives and i can say the copy mora/hulftors are great i have been trying to break one and i do mean trying i even used it yesterday in the garden and was hitting it with a hammer to split some cherry wood chunks i had for the chimnea the blade spine took the whacks well yes you can see it has been hit but it never broke , i was surprised but agai ni am abusing it to see , but i have since ordered more to go in all our grab bags and one for the poly tunnel and one for garden abuse shall i say .
Ok well hope if anyone else gets good items post about them , i have to much stuff but when i see a bargain i like to test it out .

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
With things like Mora, the real Mora knives are so well made and reasonably priced that I just am not willing to fund a Chinese company for the sake of saving a few quid. A Companion is what? £12?

I know bargains are good and all, but Chinese marketplaces undercutting western business is not only putting our own companies out of business, it seriously impacts global security in the long run.

Just for reference they’re putting our excellent British steel industry completely out of business - look at what they’ve done to British Steel in Scunthorpe. That’ll leave us with inferior steel in our knives of the future as they seek to get full market dominance. It’s a risk to our hobby as well.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What puts British industry out of business isn't s simple as cheap manufacturing countries. If so we'd have had a thriving cotton industry still I reckon. Often it's decisions made here that has a bigger effect. However that's going to lead into politics where I certainly don't want to go.

As to buying local a nice idea but I wonder if a deep dive into actual manufacturing processes at local manufacturing stands up to being local. I know we can't get a lot of the various widgets our British made products need from local or even European sources. Been like that for as long as I have been involved in manufacturing.

Then again I don't hold with the protectionist mindset. I prefer to buy responsibly sourced and made brands than geographical basis. I do have to assume the European or American brands actually check and verify their responsibility claims though.

Never bought from TEMU or aliexpress, nor ebay for personal use. I leave bought from amazon and held my nose a little bit at times. Prefer to still buy known brands through amazon though. It is not so easy to try and be ethical about things in the modern age.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Have used Temu a couple of times. All seems good. Crazy cheap to get established & then will probably put prices up a bit at least.
The quality of the stuff I had has been good generally although mostly catty tube & badges. A lot of the knives I’ve seen look truly awful.
Seems to be very like AliEx : a selling group for hundreds of different companies. Once you order be prepared for a never ending stream of texts & emails urging you to buy more! A couple a day at least.

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Wow well i can say i have never had emails from temu other than to tell us our orders are out for delivery but i guess some do get hit up by the emails i guess we are lucky .
@FixSwords sorry not intending to offend and i to like mora but for the heck of it i orders when the wife ordered her garden lights and i can say those cheap mora/hilftor look alikes are well worth the money if i loss it so be it , again your right some chinese stuff is total rubbish but some can be great and as to say you do not buy chinese then you best throw out all electronic stuff you own or your car and so many other things because these days if it does not have chinese parts in i would be amazed , we brought a air fryer daewoo yup you guessed it need spared it is from china we also have a tower air fryer yup we wanted a new draw for it so we can have a meat draw and veggies draw and cakes and yup tower said out of stock as there had beena hold up in the chinese production go figure , but i do not like to get on to the politics of buy others because i would prefer British companies to thrive but sometimes you just can not warrant their prices and i know this from years in the building trade .
But anway we will keep buying the silly stuff on temu as my wife loves the solar lights in the garden and her bags and shoes if i have a happy wife i have a very very happy life lol , runs before all the ladies throw eggs lol , ladies i have been trained over 37 years so i know happy wife happy life lol .

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
My wife just ordered from Temu. I’ve seen some very interesting “bushcrafty” things on there but the prices are so low as to be alarming!! First aid pouch with molle attachments on a tear away Velcro panel, internal compartments, even a little “morale” medic patch. Total price £5.07!!
They could barely source the materials for that price, let alone pay someone to stitch it all together.
My concern is there is some poor Chinese kid on starvation wages sewing them.
Does anyone know any background on the company? It claims to be American but everything I saw has Chinese writing.

Thoughts?
The same applies to clothes in primark n lot other shops is slave labour in phillipines nothing u can do about it really

Hope you don’t mind me adding my tuppence ha’penny but I saw on another thread that people don’t reply to posts enough…
My experience with Temu is nothing but positive. I have spent quite a lot with them and have not yet been disappointed. I live extremely rurally and the nearest big name shops are quite a way away. Local prices are high. Like many other folk, money‘s too tight to mention, so the prices on Temu are very tempting, especially as exactly the same item will often be at least 3x the price on eBay and up to 5x on Amazon. So far I haven’t had one duff product, some amazing bargains (including big brand named items, like a Browning Hunting knife for £6, which I gave to my son) and swift service. Like some others I have had credits for late delivery - £15 so far. All items are post free, from China and are here pretty quickly and are tracked the whole way - you can see exactly where your package is at any time.

So, do I mind buying from China. The answer to that is no, I don’t in the least. Temu is, I think a bit like an outlet store for lines that are not shifting through normal channels, which is why there are often “branded” items. It puts you in direct contact with the manufacturers more often than not. Who in today‘s international trading scene are surely desperate to be rid of their accumulated stock that hasn’t shifted over the past few years. I may be wrong of course.
Normal channels, meaning through traditional trading models, ending up in a shop near you at a highly inflated price after everyone in the chain has taken their cut. Then one just waits for the Black Friday sales. Just about everything is made in China these days and just like Japanese products of the 50’s and 60’s were a bit suspect, so it has been with Chinese products, the quality of which rises year on year.
Do I agree with the Political System - well that is for discussing elsewhere.

So, there you are - my first post….

Reactions: Disabled Preppers

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
@HereBeDragons now that name hmmm i know your welsh lol me being only 50% welsh still believe in them there dragons lol i can tell you my wife can breath fire if i get on her bad side lol .

Nice to see you here the people are very welcoming and the knowledge base great .

On to Temu your right if you can find a product with out a chinese part unless it is hand made in the UK you will be lucky , we love temu the wife is going solar light made on there , i told her it is not deck the halls but if she is happy i am over the moon plus when she gets her treats on there i get my treats hehehe a new set of jack pyke knives this week and may be a pistol crossbow , i have always wanted one for a little plink in the back garden , had a beasty as a kid the thing took 2 of us to pull the string lol yup and weighed a ton .

Reactions: HereBeDragons
@HereBeDragons now that name hmmm i know your welsh lol me being only 50% welsh still believe in them there dragons lol i can tell you my wife can breath fire if i get on her bad side lol .

Nice to see you here the people are very welcoming and the knowledge base great .

On to Temu your right if you can find a product with out a chinese part unless it is hand made in the UK you will be lucky , we love temu the wife is going solar light made on there , i told her it is not deck the halls but if she is happy i am over the moon plus when she gets her treats on there i get my treats hehehe a new set of jack pyke knives this week and may be a pistol crossbow , i have always wanted one for a little plink in the back garden , had a beasty as a kid the thing took 2 of us to pull the string lol yup and weighed a ton .
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I love the range of stuff they have. Particularly useful since places like Wilco can’t keep going…

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I have bought a few items, which are what i wanted, and at a fraction of a price for the same article on Amazon, and Ebay......there are many honest reviews on YouTube you can watch and form your own opinion on the items, the only weakness i have seen is in the packaging, they obviously love yellow plastic wrapping, and very weak cardboard, so if you intend to buy something long and fragile beware. On a side note, there is a good chance to review their goods and they may pay you to do it, they do have quite a range of Bushcraft items. If you like an item, then do a bit of research, find the item elsewhere and compare, you will find many of the items on Temu on Amazon and Ebay, as all these site basically sell goods for manufacturers, which reduces the overheads and therefore can do it cheaper, one other point about Temu, although I have never had to return an item, apparently it is a very easy process.

( a little disclaimer, I have no interest or connection with Temu, Amazon or Ebay, )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE