Anyone interested in a long bushcrafting session?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
you could try arrse or ukclimbing.com I guess, will prob find lots of people on those with at least an outdoors / active background

Traper

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Poland
Love the idea. If it's going to be sweden/norway/finland I can join you for 3-4 weeks in summer.

Anyway good luck :)

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
sounds like a fantastic idea , however after just finished reading "in to the wild"by Jon Krakauer, about a kid from a wealthy family who gives away all his money etc and hitches to alaska to live off the land . he comes to a sticky end due to daft mistakes and poor preparation. Not trying to discourage you at all , if i had the chance ,time and cash id jump at it . just remember "Perfect Planning Prevents P#ss Poor Performance"

I will be definately prepared. And I'll even take maps.
I don't have a lot of cash, but I'm looking into sources of funding like a newspaper column or company sponsorship.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Does anyone have recommendations of particular places in alaska/canada or scandinavia that would be good? remote, good wildlife etc? have you been anywhere that was excellent?

I spent two years in Goose Bay Labrador on the east coast of Canada and feel it would be worth you checking it out. I was there as part of the RAF contingent and have to say it has much to reccomend it. Wildlife, Terrain, Mountains, Lakes and good old heli search and rescue (not that I'm suggesting you'll need it, but it's nice to have a little back up).

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
I'd be REALLY interested, although my gap year doesn't start until next year :(
Want to put off yours until then? :D
You could maybe look out for people going on gap years though - there must be some sort of gappy organisation thing where people talk about where they want to go etc..

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Iv'e always fancied visiting the Tiaga forests/Siberia. RM did a programme from there. I think to be TOTALLY on your own means you must be prepared in every sense,mentally and physically. It really does sound fantastic and something that could shape the rest of your life. Go for it and good luck:beerchug:

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Iv'e always fancied visiting the Tiaga forests/Siberia. RM did a programme from there. I think to be TOTALLY on your own means you must be prepared in every sense,mentally and physically. It really does sound fantastic and something that could shape the rest of your life. Go for it and good luck:beerchug:

What put me off russia was the overwhelming difficulty with visas etc.

Goose bay sounds intreguing, I'll look into that.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Sigh...

I've spoken to a few people who seemed interested, it just seems after a while they just stop replying to pms and going on BCUK. Maybe I'm cursed.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I think most of the people on here are middle aged men with good jobs and families. Six months is a bit much for them. The other thing is that the vast majority of people that dream about going on big expeditions will never do it. I've got my own plans to go away to Sweden/ Finland for the summer. I'd call it a 3 to 1 chance of me pulling it off. The real world has a way of intruding on these things.

My idea was to fly into Goteborg and buy a sailing dinghy, then go up the Swedish coast or to the archipelago sea, by finland, which would mean a 20m sea crossing (same as the english channel). I'd want to camp on the beach, sit by fires, and dump the boat in a bush sometimes to go hiking and bushcrafting. I emailed the tourist information place about it today. Feel free to PM me, but make sure you're talking to as many people as possible at once, because people will let you down.

Oh, and by the way, I've only had two sailing lessons. I was planning to learn as I go, or take a shakedown cruise. That's the sort of mentality you're up against.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I suspect, sadly, that you are right. I've done a small amount of sailing too, not a huge amount but a wee bit. You'd get some good fish off the back of a sailing boat. Good fun sailing.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a Skipper 12 dingy but Im not going anywhere there is bears.

(more to protect the bears than me....)

Would Scotland do?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE