Anyone had a Citroen Dispatch Combi?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's the people carrier version of the dispatch van, we're thinking of getting one and I wondered if any of you had any experience, we're a looking at the long wheelbase 9 seaters, although they're hard to get hold of.

we might be selling on our 110 defender, it's just feeling too juicy and clunky for a growing family and dog :D

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
Don't do it please.worked out of a long wheelbase dispatch for 4 years just got a transporter now.The dispatch must be the worst van I have ever had the misfortune to drive. New clutch at 22000 miles new gearbox at 30000 the list will go on all day not just my opinion there where a lot in the fleet everyone had a similar story.

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
thanks for that faff, I'd go for a transporter but they're quite pricey.

All down to vw scene tax Tony,the following for vw's is ridiculous and the community of vw nuts will pay the hefty prices therefore they hold there money.
A great motor though but not worth the asking prices,i say this being one of the vw nuts:lmao:

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
+1 to that Transporter over a dispatch any day, had a few on a firm I worked for suffice to say they didn't last long, heavy on fuel (diesel) and kept falling apart. Then they were getting some heavy abuse!!!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Don't do it please.worked out of a long wheelbase dispatch for 4 years just got a transporter now.The dispatch must be the worst van I have ever had the misfortune to drive. New clutch at 22000 miles new gearbox at 30000 the list will go on all day not just my opinion there where a lot in the fleet everyone had a similar story.

Got to agree with all that.

We had these at work and they were constant trouble, a new clutch every 25k or so, continually in the garage for minor repairs and basically not fit for purpose.

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
I don't know if I've been lucky, but I have a Dispatch (2.0 Diesel). It has done 140,000 miles with no major problems (previous owner was my father in law), never a new clutch and very economical. I'm in the process of converting it to a camper.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I don't know if I've been lucky, but I have a Dispatch (2.0 Diesel). It has done 140,000 miles with no major problems (previous owner was my father in law), never a new clutch and very economical. I'm in the process of converting it to a camper.

I seem to have got one of the same batch! My 2.0 Diesel LWB was faultless for the three years I had it. Extremely quick if a trifle thirsty but a pleasure to drive and no problems with it in spite of some serious abuse and frequent change of drivers.
Cheers, Simon

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Whats the opinion on a Renault trafic.
Im thinking of getting the SWB 100 version for my first van. (instead of a car)
Im really excited but just wanted to see what the opinion was on it.
Tony you can get it in a people carrier version too.
Thanks
Jacob

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
thanks for this guys and the balanced views are great, I've met a few people really happy with the dispatch combi, but i've heard some nightmares as well. A decent vw jumps out of my range by about £3-5k, I'm thinking of selling my focus estate and 110 and getting what I can with that, maybe adding a little (although I've got a couple of big bills soon on the landy so maybe no extra cash)
Outdoordude, last night i started looking at all sorts of vans with 9 seats.

There's 7 in our family and a decent sized dog so it needs to be roomy, i looked up the most reliable van and it was the transit :D

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
Again had dispatches at work, gears were awful, heavy on fuel and didn't seem to be up to the abuse of actually being used as a van. I know they are pricey but VW are a million times better.

Good luck in your quest :)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I seem to remember that a caravan magazine tested the Dispatch for its towing manners. After the initial handling tests, the driver refused to do the emergency swerve/brake test as he was already convinced it was too dangerous.

I hire all sorts of vans for work and I wouldn't go for anything too small. If you look at the floor plan of a medium sized van they are not much bigger than a large estate car, they are just taller. I don't rate the VW - a bit under powered IMO and it has a horrid coffee cup holder! The renault has long gears so it is good for long runs with light loads and it can also go on the M6 Toll as a car (but don't tell anyone). I had bad experiences with Toyota (as well as coffee cup issues) if I was ever reckless enough to get the driving wheels off the tarmac. The Merc Vito is a tidy size and very quick but there is always the terrifying prospect of accidentally applying the (foot operated) handbrake when going for the clutch on the motorway. My favourite is the Transit. The cab seems to be made for a real person who needs places to put stuff, the engine is good and grunty (same as new defenders) but with six gears it can (allegedly) cruise at a ton. The downside is going to be price to buy, price to fix ("Ford" rhymes with "fraud"), and the cost of all that diesel.

Z

Last edited:

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Had the peugeot expert van (which I think is identical to the dispatch) and it was the best vehicle I ever owned, never a hint of a problem other than the usual wear and tear parts like brakes. Mine was the 2.0l HDi, it went like hot snot and got great mpg's too, something like 55 on a run.

I went to get the Citroen version as you got a better spec for your ££ but I had a mate in the trade who got me a smokin' deal on the Peugeot. Wish I still had it now but it would have cost too much to get it over………and the steering wheel would be on the wrong side!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
thanks guys, we've spent hours looking now and it all becomes a blur, we saw a mer vinto at a good price fairly local but then i read a load of independent reviews and they sounded like a nightmare, especially with rust.

The local garage said the Peugeot's were ok but don't buy the Renault, the merc just rust away, he said the same about the Trasits

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
the problem when you start rolling up in transits and big vans is they lack the social acceptance of the landrover and people start wondering if your about to take over the local park with your extended family!

that being said - i would really like a merc sprinter crew cab. 4x4 versions are available i believe.

also -

ford-transit-custom-double-cab-in-van-l1.jpg

the ford transit custom looks pretty nice if you avoid the white paint

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE