Anyone got Ridgeline gear?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Ive been looking at Ridgeline clothing. Its really well priced and has a huge following in NZ (its an NZ company) where it has a massive following amongst the hunting community. Im thinking of getting the Mallard jacket and the Mackenzie gilet. Does anyone have these items already, or any Ridgeline gear? if so, what are your thoughts on the brand?

One more thing, I have had my swedish army shirt for years. its brilliant and bomb proof. its creeping into my everyday wear now..... anyone know of a shirt of the same style and material but in different colours?

Cheers my dears.....

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
It's consisered swazi's poor cousin in the hinting community here. I havn't fallen into the trap yet, but friends have said they are hot and not particularly breathable when doing anything.

If at all possible save up for a swazi and save money in the long run. I borrowed a friend's tahr recently - it's seven years old and he's a professional deer stalking guide, so you can imagine how hard a life it's had, it's still performed perfectly. I'll be getting my own once funds allow.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
When in NZ I got a Swazi Wapiti coat and Eloise got a Ridgeline Monsoon? (I think that's the name)

The Swazi has nicer fabric and mine was made by a lady called Rose. It just felt nicer.

That said, the Ridgeline is still really well made, is very quiet when moving, and just as waterproof. Eloise hasn't used hers in years though.

Last edited:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Had a Ridge line Monsoon smock, but sent it back after the first stalking trip, the material just does not breath, highly overrated IMHO
I don't know if they have upped their game recently, but they need to.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Himself has one of their heavy fleece jackets. It's brilliant if not moving around a lot, otherwise it's a serious heat inside it.
I think it was called a grizzly or something like that.
Well made, sound, looks good, just too warm for anything but cold hanging around not doing much, or when it's blowing an arctically chilled wind.

M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've used one of their hooded pullovers for donkeys years as my favourite fleece and recently herself bought me a heavy fleece coat from them which is the warmest thing I possess , warmer that a Buffalo Antartic survey parka or a snugpak Sasquatch! I've not been able to use it over the spring/ summer even at night on the coldest of days, put it that way. The quality, even of the new one which I believe was made overseas not in NZ, is excellent. The pullover does now have plenty of pinholes where large sparks got through but I had to try quite hard to get them! The wife still steals it when I take my eye off the ball, even though with the disparity in size between her it's like a dress on her!

ATB

tom

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I have the Mallard Smock. Perfectly OK. I've worn it in heavy showers and have stayed dry. I would agree it isn't very breathable and the shoulders have no insulation so your shoulders can feel cold if you don't have a warm underlayer. It's lightweight and packs small but I tend to only use it late autumn, winter, early spring. The large Breast pocket is great for maps and binos.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have 2 monsoon's, the smock & one that fully unzips, i love them they are storm proof, but they do run a bit warm, very well made.

Rob

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Had a Ridge line Monsoon smock, but sent it back after the first stalking trip, the material just does not breath, highly overrated IMHO
I don't know if they have upped their game recently, but they need to.

This legacy haunts Ridgeline on every forum. The breathability has been addressed. For instance, the Monsoon Elite is twice as breathable as the original, the Bushmaster range are twice as breathable again as the Elite. I've never had a breathability problem with mine. My only gripe, and it's a tiny one, is the waist cord is rubbish. Oh, and there was talk of pit zips that never occurred. I think the Bushmasters have pit zips.

I have a serious hankering for a Pintail.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
I have the Mallard Smock. Perfectly OK. I've worn it in heavy showers and have stayed dry. I would agree it isn't very breathable and the shoulders have no insulation so your shoulders can feel cold if you don't have a warm underlayer. It's lightweight and packs small but I tend to only use it late autumn, winter, early spring. The large Breast pocket is great for maps and binos.

would you be able to take some pics for me please? I can't find any in depth reviews of the Mallard anywhere on the net.....

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I use a ridgeline monsoon elite smock in the winter. As previously stated it is very warm considering it has no padding. The jacket is very well made and keeps out the heaviest of weather. Living on the west coast of scotland I have put it to the test. Coupled with waterproof bottoms you remain bone dry. IF...you don't move a lot! I wear it with only a shirt below in anything but sleet/snow. Otherwise the collar is open fully, the sleeves wide and the waist cord untied.

It isn't nearly as breathable as a lightweight goretex. Simply because it isn't, it's a heavy material for extreme weather. Ed Stafford used one in his Russian expedition during one of his documentaries. It's a great jacket / smock for when you look out and the weather is horrific.

My one and only issue is the "fabric"? On the outside of the jacket does tend to hold water a bit like a sponge. U can actually squeeze it out near the hem.

It's my go to during the winter months for dog walking!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE