Anyone got experience using bamboo?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Just a quick one. in my recent thread on picking a Laavu, Yurt or Tipi Toddy mentioned a Geodesic dome.

Intrigued, I did some research and have decided to build one on the land I have purchased. After researching plenty of other materials I am leaning towards using bamboo as the frame material but wanted to hear if anyone had used it for build type applications before and if it was inherently strong enough to use.

The plan is to make a 6 meter diameter dome and to use 1" diameter (25mm) bamboo to cut the struts from. The connecting hubs will be made out of PVC as shown on the website and the hub fixings re-enforced with bolts and fibreglass tape:

http://handmadematt.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/geodesic-dome-from-bamboo-geo-dome.html

I will then make the canvas to cover it and hopefully make it water tight and cosy to use.

Cost wise I am looking at around £150 to buy the bamboo, PVC and fixings and the rest is my own labour to make them.

So has anyone worked bamboo before and would you say my proposal is suitable?

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've not had any experience with bamboo in your context, but I did Waynes Bhutanese bow making course at last years moot. All I can say is that it is very hard on your tools.
As a Carpenter though, I don't see any problems with it structurally.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE